Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giroux
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

On Line Backup Installation Fails to Complete at Final Configuration Step

Jump to solution

Unlimited On Line Backup Hangs at the window "Please wait while we register and configure your McAfee Online Backup..."

This after having had level two McAfee support (fourth on line support contact) take control of the computer - it was left with it hung up as indicated.

Actions taken included uninstalling partially installed backup, running clean up uninstalling Total Protection - trying the stand alone unlimited install prior to Total Protection custom install with no back up (back up never completed), after uninstalling and cleaning tried Total Protection custom install with no back up and then unlimited back up install (hung).  Over two days at various times unistalled IE9 and went back to IE8, lost OEM.DLL, installed both on top of old installation (per a McAfee doc) and after uninstall and clean up,  lost internet connectivity (known McAfee issue) went to a back up system restore, cleaned the registers using Microsoft tools, traced and deleted chicken doodoo left by McAfee unistall utilities, rebooted many times ...  and finally - reinstall total protection, reinstall unlimited backup and ... hang at the same point again.

Any experience with this will be appreciated.  Since level 2 McAfee support has already been involved and had control of my computer, I suspect they do not have the answer - it is not in any of support articles that are still active nor does it seem to be in any where the article has been pulled but the link is still there.

Windows Vista Ultimate/32 (SP2), IE8 (now), Intel Quad CPU Q8200 2.33GHz, 4GB memory, 500GB hard drive of which 308GB fee space

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
giroux
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Re: On Line Backup Installation Fails to Complete at Final Configuration Step

Jump to solution

Update:  due to inability to access the internet, Contacted McAfee support again using link in the follow up email from McAfee.  First two responders were obviously not technical and was finally routed to tech support and then to a level 2 (or higher?) technician who absolutely knew what he was doing. 

First, to re-establish Internet access he had me turn off the McAfee firewall.  I was then able to access the support conversation and he took control of the computer.  To address the access issue, while the firewall was off, he updated Windows software with some innocuous updates that were not necessarily pertinent (I.e. Language modules).  After a restart, he then again accessed Windows updates which had found some critical updates, presumably during the previous update.  After an update and restart we could turn the firewall back on and stll have Internet access.

I'm not sure how he fixed the Online Backup, but he did not uninstall what had been done but rather went in and reviewed and changed parameters and eventually got it working.   I was multi tasking on other computers and so didn't see it all.  Some of it appeared to be conflicts with the 2GB 'free' version.  The previous tech had me reinstall Total Protection without the backup module ... However, this tech left it installed ... I suspect they share some routines.

I will leave readers with the following suggestions:

When installing stand alone (or unlimited) on line back up, treat it as a new install not as an upgrade, if you have not previously configured the free backup

When at the backup configuration stage, choose a very small backup set ( I.e. 2KB) so it can complete the configuration and initial backup set quickly as I suspect the final installation is done AFTER the first configuration.  If you choose many GB this can take days

After the install, you may see two backup icons in the tray, one the on line back up showing backup in progress, and the other one seemingly the same but actually the 2GB version that may be blinking and asking to be configured.  Do not exit or turn off this backup as it looks like that will affect the running backup.  Nor configure that back up.  Rather just go in to tray management and hide that icon so the flash doesn't bother you.

Finally, if a configuration and backup has started, you can see the status by double clicking the icon .. And the status window appears to give you options to adjust parameters ... DO NOT ADJUST PARAMETERS ... YOU WILL CRASH THE SYSTEM AND YOU WILL BE IN RECOVERY MODE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH RESTARTS TO GET RID OF THE CORRUPTED FILES AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RECONFIGURE AND IT WILL BE A PAIN.  The designers should have greyed out the controls you shouldn't touch ... But that is consistent with there being too many ways a user can run into trouble on installs.

Hope this helps someone .... Meanwhile my system is merrily going through the first multi day backup of 15 or 20 GB and I'm relatively happy to be off and running.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Not an online backup person so asked someone to reply.

You got any service request numbers that refer to the T2 call?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello giroux,

Ok my understanding is that we do not have a problem with download / install part of MOBK , rather at the stage of configuration , after entering your credentials the window doesn’t move further and seems as if its hung ??? Could you please correct me if Im wrong !!

Regards,

giroux
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Update:  due to inability to access the internet, Contacted McAfee support again using link in the follow up email from McAfee.  First two responders were obviously not technical and was finally routed to tech support and then to a level 2 (or higher?) technician who absolutely knew what he was doing. 

First, to re-establish Internet access he had me turn off the McAfee firewall.  I was then able to access the support conversation and he took control of the computer.  To address the access issue, while the firewall was off, he updated Windows software with some innocuous updates that were not necessarily pertinent (I.e. Language modules).  After a restart, he then again accessed Windows updates which had found some critical updates, presumably during the previous update.  After an update and restart we could turn the firewall back on and stll have Internet access.

I'm not sure how he fixed the Online Backup, but he did not uninstall what had been done but rather went in and reviewed and changed parameters and eventually got it working.   I was multi tasking on other computers and so didn't see it all.  Some of it appeared to be conflicts with the 2GB 'free' version.  The previous tech had me reinstall Total Protection without the backup module ... However, this tech left it installed ... I suspect they share some routines.

I will leave readers with the following suggestions:

When installing stand alone (or unlimited) on line back up, treat it as a new install not as an upgrade, if you have not previously configured the free backup

When at the backup configuration stage, choose a very small backup set ( I.e. 2KB) so it can complete the configuration and initial backup set quickly as I suspect the final installation is done AFTER the first configuration.  If you choose many GB this can take days

After the install, you may see two backup icons in the tray, one the on line back up showing backup in progress, and the other one seemingly the same but actually the 2GB version that may be blinking and asking to be configured.  Do not exit or turn off this backup as it looks like that will affect the running backup.  Nor configure that back up.  Rather just go in to tray management and hide that icon so the flash doesn't bother you.

Finally, if a configuration and backup has started, you can see the status by double clicking the icon .. And the status window appears to give you options to adjust parameters ... DO NOT ADJUST PARAMETERS ... YOU WILL CRASH THE SYSTEM AND YOU WILL BE IN RECOVERY MODE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH RESTARTS TO GET RID OF THE CORRUPTED FILES AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RECONFIGURE AND IT WILL BE A PAIN.  The designers should have greyed out the controls you shouldn't touch ... But that is consistent with there being too many ways a user can run into trouble on installs.

Hope this helps someone .... Meanwhile my system is merrily going through the first multi day backup of 15 or 20 GB and I'm relatively happy to be off and running.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community