cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the_eye
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

New MVT Version - shortcuts it generates on the start programs menu disappears when computer is rebooted.

I have noticed that the shortcuts which the new version 5.5.1.0 of MVT installs on the start programs menu disappears after the computer boots or is turned off. This is occurring with both of my computers. I have reinstalled MVT; reinstalled TP 2010, but no change -- the shortcuts disappear EVEN when I add them back manually to the all users programs start menu and make the shortcut "read only." Does anyone know how to fix this?

2 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: New MVT Version - shortcuts it generates on the start programs menu disappears when computer is rebooted.

You could contact Technical Support Chat and ask about this. There is another thread dealing with the desktop icon but can't seem to find it right now but they are working on it.

the_eye
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: New MVT Version - shortcuts it generates on the start programs menu disappears when computer is rebooted.

The lack of a desktop icon is easy to solve. The user need only right click on the program menu icon and "SEND" it to the desktop (or copy it and paste it on the desktop -- both techniques yield an identical result.  I phoned tech support today, and they were very reluctant to admit there was a problem, at all. They claimed this was purposeful, because of the large number of customers who do not use the program menu. According to the tech support department, it was claimed that many users simply do not know how to access programs via the program menu, and prefer to have the icon on the Start Programs Menu (where it may also be placed by right clicking on the icon while it is still in the program menu (the "all program menu"); and then left clicking on "pin to start menu." That will also accomplish a means of executing the program once the icon in the all program menu disappears.

After being placed on hold several times, the tech support gentleman finally admitted that they will eventually correct this problem, but he could not provide a time estimate as to when it will be corrected. I asked if it would be adviseable to call back in about a week, and he replied in the affirmative.

I hope this helps anyone who has experienced this problem, and from the sound of it, that would be everyone that is running Windows XP with SP3 (and possibly others, as well).

By the way, the tech support department I contacted was the priority pay by telephone method, for $9.95. I would gladly pay that for a solution, but there is no solution, yet. It seems they were unaware of the problem, so just for the opportunity to make them aware, and hoping that this will lead to a solution in a relatively short time was worth the price paid (assuming it does lead to a solution in a relatively short time period).

By: the_eye

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community