cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tracyjjj
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Nail-biting frustration after installing a week's worth of MS updates?

Do not know if this is the appropriate forum, so toss me over to it if I have posted in error I apologize-

Was out of town for a week for a family emergency, and Windows Update decided to install updates this morning.  After the first set of downloads came back with an error message stating that the download/install could not complete, I noticed that McAfee was unresponsive.  All I got was a blank white box in the center of the screen where it was supposed to be.  Action Center told me I had nothing whatsoever protecting me.  Web browsing was hit-and-miss; no homepage (blank)  couldn't get into my email on MSN (blank) couldn't sign into McAfee site at all.   Did some digging around in the PC, debating on rolling it back, since it said that the driver, actually the whole damn program of antivirus "may or may not" work properly if I took it back to the 11th.   So I just tried re-installing whatever failed, added in IE9, and BANG!  Now I have a homepage again, but still no antivirus.  Finally able to get into your site, I was able to obtain a successful download of the product.  I haven't really tried to run any other programs I have, but other than desktop gadgets not working right, everything LOOKS fine.

This tirade isn't directed at you folks there at McAfee; I am wonderfully pleased with your protection, I couldn't ask for a better product.  Even through the 3 hrs or so I was connected to the internet and dead in the water, I got no infection.  For that I thank you.

My anger lies with MS update, their ineptitude, and misinformation.

This isn't the first time I have followed the automated MS update and had it break my computer.  Sad part is, the computer is only 5 months old and I shouldn't have to be going through all this.

Please, if you can, pass it on to them.  Perhaps coming from someone here on this site it will carry more weight.

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Nail-biting frustration after installing a week's worth of MS updates?

There were only very few updates from Microsoft this month.

Sometimes they can't all be installed at once, odd ones may fail if you try.

If you did a System Restore to before all this happening then you are going to have to install the updates sooner or later, but this time try them one by one using the Custom option.

Something else may be wrong so I suggest running s scan using the FREE version of THIS software.  Let it remove anything it finds and reboot if asked to.

If this all fails I need to know what operating system and service pack this is.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/05/11 2:16:54 EDT PM
tracyjjj
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for hearing me out and responding, Ex_Brit-

The only other updates I did other than IE9 were

KB2534366

KB2533552

Computer is always up to date except for this particular instance where I was out of town for a week and it was not on to update itself.  I show nothing else since the 29th of last month.

I declined to do the restore since it said it might not fix it.

I have not had any issues at all since the post.

thanks    tracy

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Well I have no idea whether or not those updates are the latest as I still don't know what operating system and service pack this is.  But if everything is OK then all the best. 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community