cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snugglebear_200
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

My Real time scanning will not stay on

This started on Friday morning, I've been trying to figure this out since then but I don't know a lot about these things.  I found the Virtual Technician and run it and it found 2 problems.  When I click on Autofix, it says they have been fixed but when I run it again they are back.  The 2 problems it has found are  in the DAT and Engine, is says the Engine is not up to date and the other problem it says is  Post System Restore Issues.  Can someone please help?

17 Replies
snugglebear_200
Former Member
Message 2 of 18

I forgot to add that my McAfee won't let me run any scans either, didn't know if this was somehow connected to the same problem or not.

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 18

I had the same problem a few weeks back.I never did a system restore.No one could answer my Question pertaining to the system restore.Unfortunatly I think I had to do an uninstall,reinstall.First you could try to click on icon in task manager and then update from there.I dont remember if this will fix.Worth a try.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 18

If this does not work here is the tool you will need.Dont forget to remove Mcafee from add/remove 1st then reboot and run Mcpr tool.The full instructions are here.http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

snugglebear_200
Former Member
Message 5 of 18

I just tried scanning again and for some reason it's working now, it's already found and fixed 8 tracking cookies.  After the scan is done I will see if the real time scanning is still on and if not I will try your suggestion.  Thank you!

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 18

O.K Good luck.We can all use a little

ibsen3
Former Member
Message 7 of 18

Re: My Real time scanning will not stay on

Hi,

I have the exact same problem.  I'm using Windows 7 and the real-time scanning won't stay on.  However, I followed the link you created so that I can uninstall and reinstall again but the link for Dell that I went to doesn't seem to have anywhere to actually download the security center software without paying for it.  I have a subscription for a year and I'm only 4 months into it but I can't find any links to download the software.  I haven't even begun uninstalling yet.  Any ideas?

Message was edited by: ibsen3 on 5/17/11 2:48:47 PM CDT
tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 18

Try the steps in this KB article:  http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100903

Four steps:  any one of which may address the issue.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
verkehr
Former Member
Message 9 of 18

I've also started having this problem today. Running MVT found no problems with Security Center, and I don't appear to have any malware or other anti-virus programs on my computer. (OS is Windows 7.)

I also can't use the "oas-disabled-fix.cmd" download, as when I try to follow the link it gives me a white page with this:

pushd "%CommonProgramFiles%\McAfee\VSCore"

mfehidin -i -x vscore.xml oas firecore scriptscan

popd

I'm loathe to reinstall Security Center while there are other options, so does anybody know of any other pages I could get this download from?

Edit: In case it's helpful, in the short gap where Real-Time Scanning is on, in the 'Virus and Spyware Protection' window underneath there's a yellow warning triangle under 'Real-Time Scanning' along with the message "Script Checking is off". RTS then proceeds to switch itself off again.

Message was edited by: verkehr on 08/09/11 06:50:39 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 18

It appears the link in that KB article is broken I will report it.

Until tromine answers you and I hope he is still subscribed as it's an old thread you could re-enable script scanning to see if that helps.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection to expand

Click Real-time scanning

Click Settings to expand

Check that item as shown below.

Click Apply

Capture.JPG

Otherwise the usual method toi cure this sort of thing is to completely uninstall via Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP)

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and go to your online account and reinstall.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community