Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_153650
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

My DAT files won't update?

Hi,

I'm running McAfee Antivirus Plus, w/McAfee Virus Scan 14.5.113, DAT version 6039 (should be 6041) on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  The last time I was on the pc I ran a complete scan, there were no problems.  No one has been on the pc since, and updates worked fine.  I logged on late last night; McAfee won't update.  I ran MVT, it confirmed my DAT file is out of date, says it's fixing it, but upon re-scan, still the same problem.  I deleted MVT, thinking maybe it was the problem.  Shut down pc.  Started up pc again, re-installed MVT, ran it, same problem.  DAT files won't update using MVT or Security Center (Version 10.5.178).

What do I do next?

Suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

'LizBeth

4 Replies
BigJ
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: My DAT files won't update?

'LizBeth wrote:

Hi,

I'm running McAfee Antivirus Plus, w/McAfee Virus Scan 14.5.113, DAT version 6039 (should be 6041) on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  The last time I was on the pc I ran a complete scan, there were no problems.  No one has been on the pc since, and updates worked fine.  I logged on late last night; McAfee won't update.  I ran MVT, it confirmed my DAT file is out of date, says it's fixing it, but upon re-scan, still the same problem.  I deleted MVT, thinking maybe it was the problem.  Shut down pc.  Started up pc again, re-installed MVT, ran it, same problem.  DAT files won't update using MVT or Security Center (Version 10.5.178).

What do I do next?

Suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

'LizBeth

I am using security center 10.5.194 after being updated to this version 2 days ago. MVT tells me I am having one problem and says it is fixing my dat file. but when it says it is fixed I click on results and it says languge is not supported for Virusscan and online backup. Plus when I right click on McAfee total protection icon down in task bar by the clock it saya view update progress. Nothing is going around in the icon but when I click on view update progress it then finishes and says I am up to date but am still at 6040 dat. Plus under results in MVT version 5.5.2.0 it also says Pending: dat out of date after it states above that it fixed the problem with the dat update. It is really screwy again this morning.

Jerry

user_153650
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your replies BigJ and kiwi4life.

I may have found the answer to my question, but I won't know until I try it.  I just realized that Ad-aware's latest version (8.3) includes an anti-virus program, and know it's not wise to run 2 av programs @ the same time, so before I uninstall/reinstall Mcafee, I'll take the easier route:  uninstall Ad-Aware's latest version 1st, and then see if McAfee works okay.  I'll keep you posted . . .

'LizBeth

user_153650
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Ad-Aware version 8.3 seems to have been the problem.  Once removing it, the DAT files are now updating again!    I also ran MVT, just to be sure, and everything checked out ok.

Problem solved!

Message was edited by: 'LizBeth on 7/13/10 10:43:47 PM EDT
Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hello Liz,
Glad that you are OK now Having multiple antivirus software on a computer is conflict rather than security. I would recommend running a single antivirus program on a computer. Please do start a new thread if you face any more issues, we are glad to help you.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community