cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TXGRunner
Contributor II
Message 1 of 3

Multiple prompts to update McAfee and install WebAdvisor, keep re-appearing

About every 30-45 minutes I get a McAfee Alert to update Internet Security on my MacOS MacBook Pro.

If I click on McAfee icon and choose "About," I see:
Version 4.20.0.0 (915)
Affid: 550
Language: en-US
Anti-Malware
Version 4.20.0 (100)
Engine Version 6400.9562
DAT Version: 10838.0000
DAT Creation Date: 9/19/23
Firewall
Version 4.20.0 (137)

If I go into Internet Security Console and check my account, it show my Subscription is Active and expires on 3/30/2024.

Auto updates are enabled and check every day at 0200. If I force updates, the process fails.

The first McAfee Alert I get is:

McAfee Alert
McAfee Internet Security
A new version of the product is available.
Click on Update to download and install the latest version.
<<Not Now>> <<Update>>

If I click <<update>>, the alert goes away and nothing happens. Nothing is downloaded and I am not sent to a webpage to download the latest product.

About 15 minutes after I get rid of the first McAfee Alert, I get:

McAfee Alert
McAfee Internet Security
Stay safe while browsing online
Install Web Advisor - We'll show you which sites are safe and check downloads for threats.

<<Get Protection>> is the only button, the only option. There is not close or cancel and even the alert can't be closed.

If I click on <<Get Protection>> webpage opens to https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mcafee-webadvisor/id6450289638
and then launches AppStore where reviews show McAfee WebAdvisor gets 1.3 stars based on 53 negative reviews, most of them complaining about this very issue and that the app will not download or install.

I have McAfee. I have a valid subscription. I do NOT want Web Advisor. I don't want to install it, I don't want it at all.

What I do want is for these constant false alerts to stop. I want them to stop now.

McAfee has known about this for at least 10 weeks, and 6 of those weeks there's been no update from McAfee. When will this be fixed? How can we fix it? 

2 Replies
Venkat_YM
Message 2 of 3

Re: Multiple prompts to update McAfee and install WebAdvisor, keep re-appearing

Hi @TXGRunner 

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly check the private message for further details.

Regards,
Venkat

PV
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Multiple prompts to update McAfee and install WebAdvisor, keep re-appearing

I'm having the same issue, using the same version 4.20.0

How do I get this to stop?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community