cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZSlash
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu

Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu making my computer crawl to do the simplest task. When playing games, watching video, and browsing the web mcshield will flare up to 100% cpu usage then several minutes later reside before doing it again. How do I stop it?

on 12/24/09 10:01:33 AM GMT-05:00
Labels (1)
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu

What is your operating system and service pack and how much RAM do you have installed?

This issue, if not infection-related, is often caused by McAfee clashing with some other software.  Are there any clues in your Event Viewer for instance?  Do you have any other software that is protection-related?

Searching the forums brings up many instances of this, the most recent included the discovery that Nero 7 clashed, in particular InCD, and once it was disabled in Startup things improved.

As this is a holiday, help is going to be a bit sparse in the forums I feel so it may behoove you to try Technical Support Chat, free, via the McAfee Support link at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/12/09 10:09:14 EST AM
ZSlash
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Manufacturer: Gateway

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5200  @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2038MB RAM

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

I do not have nero 7 installed on my computer and no other immediate protection, I have spybot spyware scanner but it is currently turned off. I have done multiple scans and defrags to try and fix it, but even typing this message is proving difficult due to the slow down.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Try Technical Support Chat then.   Your system certainly has enough resources.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community