cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 51 of 62

Re: Mcafee Won't Update - Malware Infection ?

Jump to solution

Hi RPH,

We have sent you an email to proceed with a  call back from our team to fix this issue , please check your email and reply back so that we may proceed further on this issue .

Regards,

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 52 of 62

Jump to solution

RPH wrote:

Hi,

When checking for updates it checks for about 10-15 mins at 0% then just says that my programs are up to date.

DAT : 6638

The ping gave me this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ross>ping download.mcafee.com

Pinging a2047.x.akamai.net [165.165.46.8] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 165.165.46.8: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=60
Reply from 165.165.46.8: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=60
Reply from 165.165.46.8: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=60

Reply from 165.165.46.8: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 165.165.46.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 41ms, Average = 39ms

I have attached the host file for you to check and make alterations if needed.

Thanks

Hi RPH,

The latest DAT is 6650. Of course I manually delete all sub-folders and files of my \Temp folders. You need to go into your Folder Options. Click View. Under Hidden Files and Folders, dot Show Hidden Files and Folders, click Apply then OK in Windows XP versions. Look in Local Settings for Temp Folder and in \Windows\Temp. Run Disk Cleanup afterwards. Reboot the computer, since maybe you have not done  this cleanup before  and try updating again.

What is your operating system, and Service Pack Level? Bit Version?

RPH
Former Member
Message 53 of 62

Jump to solution

Hi Jai,

Is it posible to setup a direct chat conversation so that we can try to resolve this issue ?

I don't want to have to use the telephone if that is ok.

RPH

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 54 of 62

Jump to solution

RPH wrote:

Hi Jai,

Is it posible to setup a direct chat conversation so that we can try to resolve this issue ?

I don't want to have to use the telephone if that is ok.

RPH

Hi RPH,

At the top of this page, it saids McAfee Support. Highlight it. Then click Home and Home Office Support, which opens another Window.  Click Go to Technican Support. Click Start. Before beginning Live Chat, you need to Run, McAfee Virtual Technician.

Leave the results Window up on the screen, for the Technician to see it. They prefer to use GoTo Assist..

RPH
Former Member
Message 55 of 62

Jump to solution

Hi thecreator,

If you have been following the entire thread you will know that I have already tried tier 2 chat numerous times. Mcafee eventually not knowing what else to do simply said that I have malware or something wrong with my computer even though I told them that my pc should no sign of any problem.

However with the help from EXBrit; I performed numerous scans all of which now show that my laptop is now clean. However I still have the same problem

@ExBrit, Mcafee has not replied back to me after I asked them if we could make a direct chat as the telephone option wouldn't be the best solution to fixing this problem.

I am not sure what's going on ?

RPH

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 56 of 62

Jump to solution

Well it's the middle of the night in India I think, so not surprising.   He'll respond when he's up and about.   I'm not sure whether the Chat client can be arranged to connect you to a specific support person, but he will answer that.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 57 of 62

Jump to solution

RPH wrote:

Hi thecreator,

If you have been following the entire thread you will know that I have already tried tier 2 chat numerous times. Mcafee eventually not knowing what else to do simply said that I have malware or something wrong with my computer even though I told them that my pc should no sign of any problem.

However with the help from EXBrit; I performed numerous scans all of which now show that my laptop is now clean. However I still have the same problem

[snipped]

RPH

Hi RPH,

How large is your Hard Drive in your Laptop Computer? Asking because when I got a Laptop, I partitioned it and moved the Briefcase Folder and My Documents Folder to that new partition for Documents and I also created a partition for Partition Images for using Acronis True Image.

I know that probably a reformat and reinstall of the operating system on your Laptop, is not going to work for you at this time.

But I would uninstall McAfee then uninstall that Malware program as well. Uninstall Spybot or any similar type programs as well. Note: Failure to uninstall the additional programs and possible Toolbars that also do the same thing as well will cause McAfee to uninstall itself after you reboot with those programs installed.

Reboot the computer.

Then I would download and install TuneUp Utilities 2012 from http://www.tune-up.com/ . It comes with a 15-Day Full Version Trial. Install it and run it. Clean the Windows Registry and use the Shortcut Cleaner.

Reboot the computer to test.

Reinstall McAfee and test over a week's time and report back.

RPH
Former Member
Message 58 of 62

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

After a remote session with a Mcafee Technician I am happy to report my Mcafee is now working !!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped especially ExBrit for linking me to this helpful technician !

Regards,

RPH

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 59 of 62

Jump to solution

That's great.  Any idea what was wrong and how it was fixed?  

RPH
Former Member
Message 60 of 62

Jump to solution

Hi,

It was something to do with not being able to connect to the server do to fluctuations in internet connection and it was resolved by the use of a tool that I am sure I tried beforehand. But this time it worked !

RPH

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community