Did you mean: 
jeepland
Former Member
Message 101 of 132

Re: Mcafee Service Host Error Windows XP

Processor: INTEL Core 2 Duo E65550 @ 2.33 Gig

Memory: 3 Gig

---------

Can't comment on the November start date to the issue as I was using another brand of AV until recently.

---------

Here's a twist though. The first time I disabled Netguard it didn't stop the issue so I reinstated it.

Disabling it again recently has met with success - no idea why.

To date there have been no further Service Host error messages (about a week now)

I'll let you know if another appears.

p.s.   re earlier comment made about older machines, I use XP by choice having tried Windows 7, hated it and I went back to XP. It should have been called Windows M (for morons) in my opinion.

Peacekeeper
Message 102 of 132

That is queer thanks.

jeepland
Former Member
Message 103 of 132

The error message may yet appear though!

With Netguard enabled some days there would be no error message, other days it appeared generally just once in a day at no particular time but sometimes twice. One time it appeared three times.

The other odd thing was that with Netgaurd enabled there was soometimes a run of two days with no error, on one occasion there was no error for three consequtive days.

So seven days with no error (Netguard disabled) doesn't necessarily mean the issue has gone away (yet)

It seems pretty random, you got it to happen installing TweakUI and Adobe Air but the discounted them (I think) so you've discovered how random it is.

Reading the thread again the only pattern is the apparent start date in November but was it a McAfee update, MS update, or some other update.

celavey
Former Member
Message 104 of 132

You can also take a screen shot of your add/remove program so we could check all the software you have installed.

dangerdad
Former Member
Message 105 of 132

This happens EVERY DAY. I'm up for renewal and it's driving me crazy that it hasn't been fixed 😞 Needless to say, I'm reconsidering. Is it somehow on MY end, and if so, why doesn't my McAfee tell me what to do about it?!

Peacekeeper
Message 106 of 132

So what have you tried?

1. disable netguard, a setting in the firewall? 1 poster says disable it hit apply re-enable it hit apply and then disable it and hit apply. I have seen this double up of a process removal have to be done only 1 other time but worth a try and only 2 minutes to do it.

2. Dangerdad you interested in installing the beta version to see if it helps?

To disable Net Guard: compliments of answer7

1) Open McAfee Security Center

2) Click on "Web and Email Protection"

3) Click on "Firewall"

4) Click "Net Guard"

5) Uncheck the box beside "Turn on Net Guard"

A tech (mcafee) siad 2 users were fixed by running defrag and chkdsk c: /r on their PCs.

Worth a thought

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/03/12 7:27:47 PM
jeepland
Former Member
Message 107 of 132

Just a thought - given that several users report this as an issue that began in November, in one case November 11th given as the date, I thought I'd look for corresponding updates.

Many assume it to be down to a McAfee update but..........

There were two MS XP updates pretty much at this time.

Security Update KB2544893v2 10th November 2011

Update KB2641690 12th November 2011

These were the only XP updates for November.

Could the answer lie in these perhaps?

Andy

Peacekeeper
Message 108 of 132

That is a good idea But for the fact my xp (test box) has all updates and is fine till I installed adobe air and tweak . I failed 1 time and 1 time only. 5 days no failure with same programs installed.

Will look into your thought though.

danieln
Former Member
Message 109 of 132

@jeepland

I guess that it's not a Win XP update problem. I have 2 machines, both with Win XP Professional. One I use daily and keep it updated. When my McAfee Antivirus Plus updated last year, the problem started.

I tried the McAfee Virtual Technician once I supposed that the update failed for some reason. It found and fixed 2 problems, but not this one.

I ran it again and it didn't find any error, but his errors were still happening.

So a few days later I turned on my 2nd computer and run the McAfee update (ignoring all Windows and other programs update). After reboot, the problem started on this 2nd machine. I ran MVT and no errors were found.

At this year, I formatted the 1st machine and installed all (not copy) in a new HDD. The WinXP worked fine (SP3 with all updates), with Firefox and IE. After I installed McAfee, it updated by itself sometimes and with the 3rd or 4th update, the problem started again.

After all programs installed, I ran a Defrag (original, from Win XP) and nothing changed.

@Peacekeeper.

Did you asked me about my McAfee copy? It's an original version. My licences are valid until this end of year.

On more thing. With NetGuard enabled, I got 3 errors, with it disabled, I got only 1. Enabling or disabling it several times didn't change anything...

I really can't undertand why mcAfee doesn't fix it.

Thanks.

deepsea
Former Member
Message 110 of 132

The system of a friend of mine is Windows XP (SP3) and it shows exactly the same behaviour.

jeepland, your guess in conjunction with security update KB2544893v2 is hot. The update features a newer file Inetcomm.dll, the Internet Messaging API version 6.0.2900.6157, located in the SYSTEM32 folder. Maybe there is an issue with McAfee Total Protection. I will try to restore the older version of the file and restore all the modifications done in the registry and keep an eye on it within the coming days.

Gerry

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community