Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimrockford
Former Member
Message 21 of 132

Re: Mcafee Service Host Error Windows XP

I think the problem is Net Guard.

For the last few weeks or so, I have been getting the McAfee Service Host error, almost on a daily basis.  In the last week or so, I started getting the error message everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

This morning, I turned off Net Guard when I first booted my computer. 

I have not received the error once today.

Peacekeeper
Message 22 of 132

I am now certain it is netguard itself or it reacting to a program on the pC.

papergirl6
Contributor
Message 23 of 132

Like everyone else, I am getting tired of these McAfee Service Host error messages. I started receiving them in November. I receive the error message about every 30 minutes EVERY DAY. The first few times the error message pops up, my Internet freezes for 30 seconds or more, then everything seems to return to normal. Around the third or fourth time that the message pops up, the Internet freezes and never resumes to normal operation, so I have to manually turn off my computer. 

We are paying money to subscribe to McAfee, so I expect McAfee to take this problem seriously as it seems to be widespread across many different operating systems.

My brand of PC: Dell Inspiron 530/531

All Windows updates installed

McAfee Internet  Security

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.623

Last Update: 11/16/2011

McAfee Virus Scan

Version 15.0

DAT 6557

I use Windows XP service pack 3 and Internet Explorer 7.

Peacekeeper
Message 24 of 132

For the time being disable netguard a firewall setting. This will not expose your PC to any great extent as the feature is new in 2011 version.

Try it and see what goes. I will see what action is happening when I call in Monday for our weekly call.

herrmannre
Former Member
Message 25 of 132

Any update on when there will be a fix for this?

Peacekeeper
Message 26 of 132

Welll security centre 11.0.649 patch yesterday had a netguard fix but not this 1. It is still being looked into sorry.

herrmannre
Former Member
Message 27 of 132

So McAfee released an update that is causing these issues with Service Host/Firewall & has not been able to correct it yet?  Been a while, very disturbing.  Do you know if Tech Support has a manual fix for this yet?

Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 132

If we knew of a manual workaround you would have been told. This not common none of the mods or their families see this. Ok small number of Pcs but covers all OSs. I have never seen this sorry that is why they(Mcafee) need to get logs and see what is common with these PCs.

mcaffeinated
Former Member
Message 29 of 132

Utter, totally flailing newbie here. The flailing is getting more exaggerated as I try to not take swings at the old pc. This is driving me up the wall too. I did just now try the disabling of Net Guard and have little to report on that as yet. However, what I find on my system is that if you open Mcafee Total Protection>PC and Home Network Tools>Home Network Defense, by simply clicking on "Home Network Defense" it locks up Mcafee at the Total Protection screen and will not load the Network Defense screen.

Coincidence or another wrench in works I don't know. I just thought I'd add that to the equation.

My antique is running XP service pack 3, Firefox and IE8, with Mcafee Total Protection 11.0.649.

What I haven't noticed others mentioning throughout the net that are suffering the same, is that I now know when it is coming. I suddenly find that whatever program I am running, browser or otherwise, suddenly seems to stop functioning. Within moments I get my answer: Mcafee service host.....

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 132

The netguard issues will not be helped if you uninstall/reinstall the program. It is possible that network defense area has got corrupted. This what tech support would suggest so

1 download and run MVT it is on the tech support page linked to in useful links tab above.

2. If no help  uninstall

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

download and reinstall from your account.

BTW how much ram ? No scan happening at the time you see this?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community