cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 141 of 170

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Hi. your post wont be ignored I assure you.  will no doubt chip in when he awakes in Australia.   Try that fix he posted a while back in the meanwhile to see if it helps.

None of us could repro this and as the thread went dead I thought it had been fixed.  Obviously not, but Peacekeeper knows more than I do about that.

BTW Security Scan Plus is pure advertising and should be removed as you have done.   It's harmless but nevertheless an intrusion IMHO.

Always keep an eye on downloads and make sure there aren't any add-ons you may not want coming along with it.

It is an optional extra with many free software downloads, especially Adobe-anything.

Good luck.....;-)

Peter

Peacekeeper
Message 142 of 170

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Ok what is needed is

1 more support calls and escalate them as uninstalling not usually the fix and this is what tier 1 support will try.

2. allow logging by a Senior tech of the PC setting it to start just before the focus loss time\

3. Any1 on win 10 seeing this I seen have not and the developers need call volume to get things moving as they have other more common issues to fix.

Will re-bring this up next Monday in our mod call

user_99018
Former Member
Message 143 of 170

Jump to solution

Thank you Peter and Peacekeeper.

1. Yes I am aware of the free stuff that can piggy-back and I try to be vigilant about avoiding them, but maybe I missed one 😉
  2. I am not sure about the ‘fix’ to which you refer – I read about the reg edit (post 43) but did not find any details like a name or value.  Should PM Peacekeeper for details assuming this is the approach you meant?
  3. I will plan to make a call in the upcoming days, once I verify the 3hr pattern is still good, and if I can plan to devote quality time leading up-to and after an event while logging. I will feedback.
  4. Confirming I am using Win 10 as of yesterday.  This issued followed me from Win 8.x

Dan

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 144 of 170

Jump to solution

OK he will have to 'Follow' you and you 'Follow' him (via Profiles) in order to do direct messaging.   I've already set that up so you should be able to ask him about that registry fix.

Technical Support need to troubleshoot it directly, if you choose that route.  Link below.

Once a case is escalated you'll get really knowledgeable people dealing with you.  Tier 1 are only doing their job, separating the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Contact Support

user_99018
Former Member
Message 145 of 170

Jump to solution

Thank you Peter - I will avoid the Peter Gabriel reference, PK and I are following ea other - PM sent to him.

I appreciate the link too and will be patient with Tier 1.

Expecting a focus change in 9 minutes btw, should be interesting.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 146 of 170

Jump to solution

Good luck. 😉

Peacekeeper
Message 147 of 170

Jump to solution

The fix works but the tech who gave it to me did not like it left disabled. He did not say why but I will see what the techs say Monday

user_99018
Former Member
Message 148 of 170

Jump to solution

no problem,

fyi, No occurrences from the evening of 10 June until:

Sat Jun 11  11:34:39  2016

Sat Jun 11  11:36:11  2016

Sat Jun 11  11:45:39  2016

Sat Jun 11  14:45:39  2016

Nothing happened at 11 17:45:xx

I was hoping to see a predictable and sustained pattern, so I put a shortcut of focus.exe in the startup folder, and I saw an occurrence about 5 minutes after focus started (post reboot).

as mentioned, if I can predict the event, I will pursue with mcafee spt.

user_99018
Former Member
Message 149 of 170

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper - message received, will follow through when I get a good block of time this week, and I will let you know.  thanks again for the test info.

Dan

Peacekeeper
Message 150 of 170

Jump to solution

Smart messaging aimed at your Install rather than general installs. Usually a popup within the Graphics User Interface.

What are the PC details and OS version. This addressed to all users. If you already have said so my apologies as I have not the time to reread all the thread posts

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community