cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jameskyker
Former Member
Message 1 of 170

McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

For some time, I have been struggling with programs losing focus. Finally, I bought the program Focus Taker ID to identify what is causing the problem. Every 3 hours, McUICnt.exe is doing something in my system, and that is causing my current window to briefly lose focus. It returns after about 1-2 seconds. This is extremely annoying because, if I am typing in a window (like this), I will lose keystrokes! This particularly is annoying when I am gaming. For instance, on Lumosity, where scores are particularly important and based on time-reaction, McUICnt.exe completely ruins the game and skews my scores because my reaction time is destroyed when this happens.

What is McUICnt.exe doing every 3 hours? Can I somehow adjust that to only perform its function every 12 hours or 24 hours? I looked everywhere in the settings, and I cannot find a scheduled job that is running every 3 hours. Further, I checked the Windows task scheduler, and I cannot find any McAfee jobs in there at all.

Please, McAfee, fix this as soon as you can. I had to buy a $10 program to figure out what was taking over my computer because I thought I had Malware or something worse installed. It is very disheartening to find out that it is actually a McAfee product causing all my trouble.

I love the product, and I look forward to a resolution.

Kindest regards,

J.G.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jameskyker
Former Member
Message 162 of 170

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Hello. I gave up on this, and I switched to another virus scanner (paid).

Please note, before I switched:

1. I often lost focus in the window I was typing.

2. Another program that runs in the task tray constantly had taskbar issues and would cause the taskbar to pop-up. (I auto-hide the taskbar.) That was the more annoying than #1.

Now that I have switched to another virus scanner. I have none of the above issues.

View solution in original post

169 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 170

Re: McUICnt.exe steals the current windows focus every 3 hours. How can I stop this?

Jump to solution

Technical Support would probably have been able to help you free of charge by phone or online chat and saved you that $10.  Anyway I think that you may have inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scan Plus which comes as an optional download with such things as Adobe Flash or Reader for example.   Always be on the lookout for extras that you may not need when downloading and updating software.   Check Control Panel > Programs and Features for McAfee Security Scan Plus and if there, uninstall it and the problem should disappear.

It's a sales tool that monitors systems for needed security features and doesn't offer any actual security.   The only other thing that would activate every so often would be the update check but that certainly is silent and would never steal focus.

Let me know if that helps.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

jameskyker
Former Member
Message 3 of 170

Jump to solution

Excellent! Thanks, Peter!!! I do see McAfee Security Scan Plus installed. I will remove it and report back with my results.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 170

Jump to solution

Hi

I would suggest to turn off all pop up Notifications related to McAfee.( Open McAfee GUI > Navigation > General Settings and Alerts > Uncheck all Informational Alerts > Click Apply)

Also Change Update Setting to be Manual where you can check for updates whenever you wish.

Applying the above steps will never create a Desktop Notification therefore you can continue with your Game without losing Focus.

Post back your observations..!

jameskyker
Former Member
Message 5 of 170

Jump to solution

Thank you, Selvan. I will try the removal of McAfee Security Scan Plus first. If that does not resolve the issue, I will certainly try your recommendations.

Kindest regards,

J.G.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 170

Jump to solution

Never knew that you had McAfee Security Scan Plus installed on your PC. BTW McUICnt.exe is a core McAfee process; unsure if MSSP has something to do with this. Let's See..!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 170

Jump to solution

Good luck 😉

jameskyker
Former Member
Message 8 of 170

Jump to solution

Hi again. I wanted to let everyone know that since removing McAfee Scan Plus, I have not yet noticed the problem. I forgot to run my diagnostic tool (Focus Taker ID) overnight to see if it is still happening (perhaps I am just missing the 3 hour mark). I hope to remember to do that tonight and report back tomorrow.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 170

Jump to solution

It sounds promising, let's hope that was all that was needed.  😉

jameskyker
Former Member
Message 10 of 170

Jump to solution

Shoot. It is still happening. Even though the log is showing this, I want to wait until I actually experience it again before I begin to try the additional measures posted.

From the log:

Lost focus at 10/19/2014 10:06:01 PM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/20/2014 1:06:01 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/20/2014 4:06:01 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/20/2014 7:06:01 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/20/2014 10:06:02 AM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/20/2014 1:06:01 PM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Lost focus at 10/20/2014 4:06:01 PM due to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe

Theoretically, I should be able to pay attention at 7:06 PM today. Hopefully, I will not get distracted by something else happening around the house!

Best,

J.G.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community