cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tchail
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

McSvHost.exe Excessive Disk Access?

My hard disk light has been on all afternoon.  When I did some investigating I found that McSvHost.exe has 251,805,888 I/O Write Bytes.

This was annoying when all I was trying to do was watch a movie file using Cyberlink Power DVD 11.  But it became an impediment when I actually tried to do some work.

Does anyone know why this program should be spending so much time accessing the disc?

Any help would be appreciated!

-Tom

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Re: McSvHost.exe Excessive Disk Access?

Are you scanning? What PC specs is your PC? Where are you reading this write bytes from

tchail
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Hello Tony,

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705.

3Gb of ram, Intel dual-core 2.33 GHz CPU, 1Tb hard drive, ATI 256 Mb graphics card.

If you open up the Windows Task Manager, under View --> Select Columns, you can bring up the I/O Write Bytes column on the Processes page of the Task Manager.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 8

Ok not on win 8 task manager so did not see that.

I assume XP and this an old laptop correct? T7600 cpu.  If you disabled Real time scanning for a few minutes do it speed up?. I will check the i/o writing on my xp and win7 PCs later on and report back

tchail
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows XP-Pro SP3.

And yes, it is an older laptop.  But it still works!

(Most of the time...)

😉

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 8

I checked my old XP sp3 desktop running am e6600cpu and 2 Gb ram. After startup top 4 i/o write processes are windows ones and Mcafee takes over when I ask it to do an update.. Cpu use fluctuates 50% to 100% ie using 1 then 2 cpu cores.

BUt and this a big but i/o write for Mcsvhost only hit 4,000,000 or  so thus why yours hits 251,000,000 is a worry. Maybe hard disk failing of it has bad sectors? Your Hard disk seems to be a recent 1.

Have you tried to go to a command prompt and run chkdsk c: /r?

BTW what version of Mcafee have you?

Another idea is to do a clean uninstall then reinstall of Mcafee.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot as asked and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 8

Hi tchail,

I would suggest you run the below commands and come back with the outcome...!

Open cmd.exe and type in "sfc /scannnow" to initiate the system file checker.

Following sfc scan run the check disk utility by typing the command "chkdsk /r" to repair bad sectors automatically.

If there are any un fixable errors in the above checks then you may need to change your HDD for best performance.

However try the below additional steps and check if they help.

1) Free up space in C drive such that it has more than 5GB empty space

2) Run the windows tools such as Disk Defragmenter to cleanup and rearrange sectors

3) Increase Pagefile size to custom value: min being 1.5 times RAM and max being 3 times RAM

Good luck

Pritish
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 8

Hi tchail,

I see from the previous post that you were given certain steps to work on and post the result.

Please let us know the outcome and also let us know if you are still facing the issue that you had originally posted.

Regards

Pritish P.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community