cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lifeblood
Contributor III
Message 1 of 7

McHost.exe Application Errors

Just to be clear, I'm having problems with McHost.exe, NOT McSvHost.exe.

The errors began on 01/05/12 after performing an update to McAfee's Antivirus Plus.  The update required a restart.

After this restart McHost.exe began giving me application errors every time I boot my PC, and every time that Antivirus Plus invokes it.

I used Task Manager to kill the process tree for McAgent.exe, then restarted the program with the shortcut for McAfee AntiVirus Plus located in Start\Programs\McAfee.  After it restarts, it gives me an error for McHost.exe again.  So, the problem seems to be with the McHost.exe itself.

I never had any problems before that update.

I also began getting a shortcut to Antivirus Plus placed on my desktop, but that, thank god, has been resolved.

Every day I check the following location in AntiVirus Plus. 

Navigation/Quarantined and Trusted Items/Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs

There are usually some bad cookies that Antivirus Plus catches and that I have to delete, but since the McHost.exe application errors have been occuring, I haven't seen one bad cookie in there, which leads me to believe that I am missing some protection provided by McHost.exe.  It is not catching the bad cookies.

Am I not fully protected at the moment?  Please answer this question.

Also, could you please explain what McHost.exe does?

I haven't installed any new software, and I don't have any of the software that has been discussed in other posts, such as Alcohol.

I don't use McAfee's Firewall.  I use ZoneAlarm.  So, Net Guard shouldn't be a factor either.  But, just to be safe, I temporarily turned on McAfee's Firewall, unchecked Net Guard, then shut the firewall off again.

The last time I had an error I used Process Explorer to copy the process information for McHost.exe.  This is what I got.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Core\mchost.exe" {d193df30-3059-4654-ac82-727b1eb92f21} /pid=2808

I tried finding the CLSID {d193df30-3059-4654-ac82-727b1eb92f21} in the registry and found nothing.  That seemed strange to me that McHost.exe is referencing a CLSID that doesn't seem to exist.  Is McHost.exe missing something that it needs to function properly?

Please help me fix this.

Oh, by the way.  I also ran Virtual Technician and it reports everything is OK.

So, I am at a loss as to what to do, except beg all the McAfee techs to PLEASE look into this.

Thanks

6 Replies
Lifeblood
Contributor III
Message 2 of 7

Re: McHost.exe Application Errors

Anybody going to address this?

flogger
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I got the same exact issue here.

I hope to get positive news.

Lifeblood
Contributor III
Message 4 of 7

By reading other threads this seems to be a pretty common problem people are having. 

Don't I at least deserve some kind of response?

I mean it's been 10 days and not one moderator or McAfee tech has responded to my post.

Why not?

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Hi Lifeblood,

Sorry for the delayed response ,  could you please let us know the version details of your McAfee programs ;

McAfe Security center:

Version :

Build:

Virus scan :

Version:

Build:

DAT version :

Are you using a specific software that’s called Alcohol 120% ??

Please provide us with a screen shot of the error if possible

Regards,

Lifeblood
Contributor III
Message 6 of 7

Ok, here it is.

McAfee Product Version Information - 2012-02-02 1103am.bmp 

Why doesn't McAfee put a link in the About screen that will open a log file containing the About information, so we can copy & paste it, instead of having to take screen shots and having to piece them together in order to show you the information?

McAfee makes everything so difficult.  Much more than it needs to be.

As I mentioned in my original post, no, I do not have Alcohol 120% installed.  And, I also have not installed any new software.  So, the problems are all with McAfee.

All of these errors started with the update that required a restart on 01/05/2012.  The update that started putting a shortcut to McAfee's AntiVirus Plus on my Desktop.  The shortcut problem has been resolved, but the application errors keep occurring.

Since so many people started having problems after that update, that weren't having problems before, why don't we roll back to the version that was working fine, before the bad update, while McAfee figures out what all the problems are?

Also could you please answer the following questions that were in my original post?

"Every day I check the following location in AntiVirus Plus. 

Navigation/Quarantined and Trusted Items/Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs

There are usually some bad cookies that AntiVirus Plus catches and that I have to delete, but since the McHost.exe application errors have been occurring,  I haven't seen one bad cookie in there, which leads me to believe that I am missing some protection provided by McHost.exe.  It is not catching the bad cookies.

Am I not fully protected at the moment?  Please answer this question.

Also, could you please explain what McHost.exe does?"

Another problem I am experiencing is with SiteAdvisor. 

When I run Virtual Technician it says everything is OK except for SiteAdvisor.  It says that I need to update to the newest version.  But, you can see from the About picture I showed you before that it IS up to date.  Version 3.4.0.143.  See picture below.

Virtual Technician Results - Need SiteAdvisor Update 2012-02-02 1119am.bmp

If I open up Internet Explorer and look at the About information in the McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar it also shows that I have the most up to date version.  Version 3.4.0.143.  See picture below.

Internet Explorer McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar About Information 2010-02-02 1129am.bmp

I clicked on the "Check for updates" link on that screen, downloaded the latest SiteAdvisor installation .exe, and tried to re-install it.  And, I got the message 'Installation Didn't Complete Successfully'.  See picture below.

McAfee SiteAdvisor

I also tried completely uninstalling SiteAdvisor and re-installing it with the latest SiteAdvisor installation .exe, and got the same message again.

I had to go back to a SiteAdvisor installation .exe that I had downloaded on 10-17-2011 in order to get it to install.  When I installed with that .exe it says everything is up to date.  Version 3.4.0.143.  So, I don't know why the hell Virtual Technician thinks it is NOT up to date?  And, I don't know why the latest SiteAdvisor installation .exe does NOT work?

Very frustrating.

Everything was working beautifully before the update that I received on 01/05/2012.  Since then nothing, but problems.

alex_n
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Hello LifeBlood,

can you tell us the following info:

-Windows version:

-Internet Explorer version:

-Do you have Alcohol 120% installed on your system??

It appears there's an incompatibility issue with Alcohol 120% that generates the McHost error when McAfee tries to update.

-Which is the frecuency of this error happening?  3-4 times a day?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community