cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_62735
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

McAfee won't update!

Hello. A few days ago, I realized my McAfee VirusScan Console was no longer scanning or updating as scheduled. So, I tried to manually update it by right-clicking the icon, and clicking "Update now." It comes back with the error, "Failed to initialize Common Updater subsystem. Make sure the McAfee Framework Service is running. McAfee Common Framework returned error fffff95b @ 2" I've tried re-installing and repairing it several times, with no success. Now, I just have a 2006 version of McAfee (since I re-installed it and received no updates) and it won't update. Can someone please help me get my McAfee updated, and also fixed so that it will update like normal for now on? Thanks!

Oh, and on a side note, after seeing my McAfee couldn't update, I installed the free version of AVG, to make sure I would be protected while McAfee was down. AVG found a virus, but seemed to remove it, since it didn't show up in any additional scans and computer reboots.

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: McAfee won't update!

McAfee 2006 is obsolete and no longer supported.   You'll have to go with a current product to get updates, which are daily.

user_62735
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

My McAfee is only 2006 now because I had to re-install it, and after re-installation, I still couldn't get updates. It says the DAT was created on November '06. Sorry if that confused you

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

It can't update - it's no longer supported at all.  You'll have to uninstall it and get yourself some current protection.

user_62735
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

So, I'm gonna have to buy McAfee all over again? I had the latest version of the software before I re-installed it, and I'm paying for it. If the answer's yes, then I'm probably going to switch to a different anti-virus; I don't want to have to pay for something all over again because it failed to do what I originally bought it for.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

I don't understand how, if you had the latest version before, you now have the 2006 version, where are you installing it from, some really old CD?

You should be installing it from your online account at McAfee.com.  Remove the old one in the normal manner and then run the MCPR removal tool, reboot before installing the new one.  If you have registered online at any stage then you will have an online account.

Whereabouts are you and then I can check for a download link?

How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/16/09 4:52 PM
zinho84
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

so for those who bought the mcafee in 2006...we must buy again a new one????

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

For home products if you haven't paid for a current subscription then yes, but if your subscription is paid up then you should be updating to the latest version.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/24/09 5:41 PM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 11

Take a look at the article on McAfee's knowledgebase. It has some suggestions that might fix your issue.

http://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/templatepage.aspx?sURL=3

The knowledgebase article is Corporate KnowledgeBase ID: KB54520

Microsoft Windows 2003 Standard SP2
EPO Server 4.0.0.1298 (Patch 5)
EPO Agent 4.0.0.1494 (Patch 3)
McAfee VirusScan 8.0i - Patch 15 - about 5 slower computers - starting to remove due to EOL on March 2010
McAfee VirusScan 8.5i - Patch 7/8 plus HotFix 458640 x over 1600 systems
McAfee VirusScan 8.7i - Testing Patch 2
McAfee EPO 4.5 server - waiting for Patch 1 before considering testing
spooky
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I have a similar problem. A laptop had to be rebuilt so this was done and then I installed VirusScan Enterprise 7 - will not update - managed to updatre the frameworkmanifest.xml file and tried everything but update fails saying unable to update to version 5.4 at the engine stage. Surely a correctly purchased product should still be able to be updated to the latest virus definitions?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community