cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sornig
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

McAfee won't stay "on" ?

I downloaded McAfee maybe a month ago and it was working just fine. However, in the last week or so, whenever I open the page it says that "Real-time Scanning is Off" and when I go to turn it on, it doesn't stay on for more than five seconds. This prevents my computer from being protected from viruses, and won't even scan my computer when I click on the scan buttons.

I'm not sure how to fix this, I don't know if I have a virus or what, or maybe something went wrong with the download. But isn't McAfee supposed to prevent viruses from infecting my computer? I followed a suggestion that informed me to turn my computer on using safe mode with networks, and to scan my hard drive by going through my computer, and it says it scanned it with one item detected and fixed.

If there's someone who could help me figure this out, that would be great.

16 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 17

Re: McAfee won't stay "on" ?

Hi,

Could you please provide the below information so that we could help you to fix this issue.

What is the operating system of the computer ?
Do we have any third party security software installed in the machine ? or in the past ?
Do we receive any pop ups from anonymous programs (virus alerts) ?

Thanks and Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

McMolten
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

I am having the same problem.  I am operating Windows Vista and do have some other programs running on my computer (Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware).

janelleeve
Former Member
Message 4 of 17

Mine is doing the same thing I have Windows 7, the only other thing I have running is windows defender.

gerryhiles
Former Member
Message 5 of 17

I had the same problem when I downloaded Babylon translator - see above post.  I'm only guessing here, but maybe if a download shares a file with McAfee and if you uninstal the download, as I did, then it messes other things up.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 17

Hi,

Can you all provide me the error that shows up in security center so as we can proceed accordingly. If possible provide me with a screenshot for the same. (that will provide more insight on the issue)

Additionally, to speed up the process,

Check and delete if you have any other security software installed in the computer.
Check and install the available windows’ updates
Run MVT from
http://mvt.mcafeee.com and post me your session id’s

Regards,
Dinesh K

matt818
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

I have recently starting have this issue with my computer, i'm running windows 7 and have not installed any other security software.

When i try to switch on real-time scanning there is no error message it just switches straight back off, when i try to run a scan of my pc i'm given a message saying

'An unexpected problem occured during your scan

Please click OK to go back to the Home page, and then try running your scan again.'

GMT-IT
Former Member
Message 8 of 17

Hi, got the same error today with WIN7 Pro. There is a solution in McAfee KB that works for me:

You have to change rights of user "system" to full access for  "%Systemroot%\temp" directory.

Best regards

Guido

Protokollname: Application
Quelle:        McLogEvent
Datum:         28.11.2010 12:58:48
Ereignis-ID:   5022
Aufgabenkategorie:Keine
Ebene:         Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch
Benutzer:      SYSTEM
Computer:      OL-1
Beschreibung:
Initialisierung des MCSCAN32-Moduls ist fehlgeschlagen. Das Modul hat folgenden Fehler ausgegeben: 8
Ereignis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="McLogEvent" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">5022</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-28T11:58:48.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5819</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>OL-1</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>8</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 17

Hi Matt,

Could you please run the McAfee virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com and check the status as it hasa build that would fix the real time scanner being turned off . (Do not forget to post me with your session id)

Also along with your next post please provide us with the below information;

Did you previously have any other security software installed in the computer ?
Is the computer up-to-date with windows , if not install the latest updates from microsoft

Do you receive or suspect any virus infection in the computer ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

matt818
Former Member
Message 10 of 17

Cheers for the replys, just to let you know I managed to fix it by scanning userinit.exe, found a few things in there which were removed and the problems gone away since.

I haven't ever installed any other security software on my computer and there i had nothing to indicate that i had a virus on here, the first i knew something was wrong was when mcafee told me the real-time scanner was switched off and i was unable to switch it back on, this was the only warning message i received. Windows was also fully up to date as well

Message was edited by: matt818 on 29/11/10 16:24:12 CST

Message was edited by: matt818 on 29/11/10 16:25:34 CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community