cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 81 of 115

Re: McAfee update causes blue screen crash?

Hi,

I agree with Peacekeeper. Just make sure Network Adaptors are up to date. becuase recently some McAfee users were experiencing BSOD caused due to Atheros Network Adaptors. After diagnosing the machine we found that user with WLAN_Atheros(Foxconn)  driver version - 7.7.0.343-x86x64. Commonly getting the BSOD error. Since Network driver is not up to date

Steps to check Version of network Adaptor:

·         Open Device manager

·         Right click on Computer

·         click on manage

·         In the left hand panel click on Device Manager

·         Right click on network adaptor

·         Click on property

·         Make sure if its WLAN Atheros driver Version 8.0.0.238

·         If not update the driver and make sure we get the latest.

·         If it’s not getting update check with OEM Website (system manufacture) or call your System vendor to get it updated.

Let me know if the issues persist. Even with update adaptor driver

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 82 of 115

Wrong brand - no Atheros network card here.

Nice thought, though......

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/28192?tstart=0

Sep 20, 2010 4:52 PM in response to:                                     Peacekeeper Re: After upgrade computer will not boot!

This is a desktop, but it does have a wireless card:

DWL1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card

I  am not using the wireless card, since everything (eg printer) is  connected locally via ethernet or USB, and I have neither a Win7  HomeGroup, nor a "network" set up with my laptop (Dell W7/x86, running  another, non-McAfee security suite).

The ethernet card is a Broadcomm.

The mobo BIOS was updated last month, and the on-board ATI Radeon HD5770 GPU BIOS was successfully updated back in May.

All  drivers are UTD, according to what is being offered by Dell support.

It is not advised to install "newer" drivers from a device manufacturer before they are tested in the environment of the computer maker's hardware/mobo/BIOS, and then published by the computer maker.

So, please don't try to pin this on the users, their computers, or the computer makers.

The problem is with the McAfee software and the fact that it is inherently incompatible with a large number of computer platforms.  End of story.

MM

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 83 of 115

But there is no harm is checking for driver updates, moreover if updated drivers are available (no matter it's Atheros or Broadcomm) then it can be downloaded/ installed from their own sites.

Perhaps, if there is a driver update available, then I believe it would be deployed only after testing in their environment

hannenberg
Former Member
Message 84 of 115

I uninstalled McAfee so I can't do any testing, but I can confirm that my Dell has an Atheros NIC with driver 8.00.144

oldgrantite
Former Member
Message 85 of 115

I have the same problem where the mcafee update has caused my Dell PC to crash.  I just tried BalaSGS' fix and it worked for me.  Ihave aDell XPS435T running Windows 7 64 bit home premium.  I updated the driver as suggested.  I then re-downloaded McAfee security centre and reloaded and rebooted my PC.  No bsod.  Will restart again to see if it still works.

Thank you all for posting your issues and fixes out here!

Cheers,

Message was edited by: oldgrantite on 9/21/10 9:22:21 PM CDT
Aldrin
Former Member
Message 86 of 115

Awesome Oldgrantite could you please let us know the details of your computer's Network Adapter (brand name, version details etc...)

on 22/9/10 8:01:57 AM IST
Peacekeeper
Message 87 of 115

For your interest I do not have a wireless card all are networked by ethernet cable maybe why I never see this issue and win 7 64 bit install stable.  Hopefully after this weeks patch in australia initially for amd cpus and toshiba PCs and maybe more work on this wireless issue we might start getting on top of this issue.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 88 of 115

The Atheros DRIVER version for the Dell WLAN card is: 8.0.0.239 (the most current version offered by the computer maker).

The Broadcomm DRIVER for the ethernet card is: 12.2.2.2 (also the most current version).

(The computer was brand new in Feb 2010, BTW.)

YES, Aldrin, it CAN cause a problem to install an updated driver that has not been properly tested for the brand of the computer. (Your suggestion rings the same as the offers last month to install McAfee's *beta* software, just to see what would happen....)

Since the computer worked perfectly normally with the bundled "2009" McAfee SC, worked perfectly with "2010" McAfee SC UNinstallted, works perfectly with another brand of security suite, and was rendered unbootable when the "2010" version of McAfee SC was installed (TWICE, reproducibly), that pretty much narrows down the source of the problem.

Alas, I am not about to start experimenting with updating and rolling back drivers just to see what happens, especially since I have uninstalled McAfee from my system and have no intention of uninstalling a functional secuity suite to return to McAfee.  I have already wasted an unreasonable amount of time, effort, aggravation and expense on this.

If you wish to donate $2700 to allow me to purchase a duplicate system that I can use to "experiment" and test your theories and your software, that would be terrific.

Thank you,

MM

oldgrantite
Former Member
Message 89 of 115

Still no bsod!!  yay!

My Network card is Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with 11n mini-card and external antenna.  The driver shows to be Atheros which I updated to the current version 8.0.0.239 - I believe it was 8.0.0.144 before.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 90 of 115

Great, Yeap that was the info we were looking for.... Thanks Oldgrantite...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community