cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hawley
Former Member
Message 31 of 115

Re: McAfee update causes blue screen crash?

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.  My CPU is: AMD Athlon(tm) x2 Dual Core QL-65 2.10 GHz.... is that the right information??

I'm afraid I wrote down the bluescreen information but now I've lost the paper where I wrote it!!

What's the next course of action?

Thanks.

ansells
Former Member
Message 32 of 115

Hawley,

As previously stated, I have also had these blue screen problems upon updating McAfee.

The last email I received from McAfee stated: "I understand that you wish to contact our technician but it will take some time for you to get this issue resolved.  I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused."  I don't know what "some time" really means, but I don't have the time or the patience for this and will not leave my laptop unprotected.  Therefore, I have uninstalled McAfee on my Acer (windows 7- 64 bit) laptop.  I downloaded Windows Security Essentials; for free!  I was going to use AVG, but decided to go with Windows since by doing so I shouldn't have compatibility problems.  I have not had any more problems and can now rest easier.

I have 6 months left on this subscription, but I will just take the loss.

muldoonc
Former Member
Message 33 of 115

I have been advised by McAfee that there is a "patch" available now for download on McAfee Servers in the UK from Tuesday 14th September. I have been advised to re-install my McAfee Total Protection 2010 on the Wednesday 15th and the latest patch will be included.

I am prepared to stick this out and actually try it because in fairness McAfee went to the trouble to investigate all the Help Desk logs. Hey but if it throws up that blue screen again it will be bad form.

I will post my feedback on Wednesday 15/09/2010.

Yours Sincerely

muldoonc

Peacekeeper
Message 34 of 115

We haven't been informed of that release yet as the AU server usually gets it 1st and haven't seen it come yet. Yours is a toshiba with AMD cpu I assume that fix is in beta testing and was to be released this month. I will check this during our Monday mod call.

Was this an email a phone call or a chat? You got a chat service request number or a name?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/09/10 6:25:47 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/09/10 6:26:35 AM
Loucetius
Contributor
Message 35 of 115

Same issue, Dell XPS8100, i7 processor. Win-7 Home Premium 64-bit

Mcafee does an update, request reboot and when rebooting a blue screen.

Very frustrating.

I can't find any official information as I believe this is not an isolated and local issue due to many post here on the same.

I had tried to download the beta but same issue.

If any moderator could please respond with and ETA when this issue is fixed please!!

Thanks,

Loucetius

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 36 of 115

Join the club:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/26998

(There are many, many other, similar posts & threads here at the McAfee forums about the same problem on Dell (and other), Win7/64 (and other) platforms.  Alas, it seems most are being treated as "one off" situations, which they clearly aren't.)

After reproducibly rendering my system unbootable except into basic safe mode, not once, but twice, the McAfee software update to 2010 versions was found to have caused corruption of the OS.

I ended up having to restore the OS to the factory image from the recovery partition, uninstall the bundled/pre-installed McAfee (including running the MCPR tool twice), and install another security suite.

I have spent the last month getting all my programs reinstalled and everything back to "normal".

Despite a bit of a learning curve, I am very happy with my new security product, which is running fine and -- most amazing of all -- even allows me to boot my computer!

Sadly, the 2009 versions that came pre-installed on this expensive system only 6-7 months ago had worked just fine, and my system was rock stable before the 2010 version update.

Even a complete clean uninstall/MCPR cleanup/reinstall did not work -- it caused the exact same problem.

(And with all due respect, cheerful assertions from the enormous group  of ***2*** moderators/beta testers here that McAfee 2010 software  installs and runs fine on their machines is of no help to the rest of us.)

Also sadly, despite valiant and well-intentioned support from the volunteer mods and a couple of McAfee folks here at the forum, Tech Support was blatantly uninterested in and incapable of providing either a correct diagnosis or a solution. Since I could not wait weeks/months for a fix because I need to have a working computer with a working secuirty suite, I had no choice but to leave McAfee and forfeit my subscription fees.

I hope you get your computer back to full functionality, as I know all too well the agony of this experience.

Good luck,

MM

Peacekeeper
Message 37 of 115

Agreed moxie it is working on my PC and Peter's does not prove it works for all cases. I have asked the techs to call some in these threads and get logs to figure out what is the issue. I will get an update Monday during our call to the US.

I now have installed 5 times on 3 different OS's in the past 2 weeks and zero issues. I wonder if the issue is dependant on something installed either hardware or software. More work is needed to figure this out though.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/09/10 5:14:51 PM
Leif
Former Member
Message 38 of 115

I have the same problem.

Update -> restart -> BSD

Happened twice now. Had to do a roll back from safe mode.

Dell Studio XPS 8000 Win 7 home premium 64 bit

McAfee is starting to complain about my computer not being protected.

Is there any way to reject this update until it is fixed?

Message was edited by: Leif on 9/12/10 1:20:43 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 39 of 115

Only if you have a restore point you then can say no updates but hard to know whether it is a dat or program update. this 1 for the 2011 wish list (ie knowing what is the update containing)

Leif
Former Member
Message 40 of 115

It must have been more than a normal database update. McAfee told me that it was updating in the background. And Windows told me that i had no virus protection. ( McAfee must have been turned off.)

I did have a good restore point. But the problem is that McAfee try to update again some days later. Yesterday i stopped it by forcing the computer to turn off when i saw the update message.

I want to say; don't try to update until i say so.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community