cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nocturne
Former Member
Message 11 of 22

Re: McAfee total protection will not run because of dynamic IP address???

Dear Pritish - haven't noticed any kind of alert or anything for IM - is it through this website somehow? Will give you any info that you think might help, but don't understand how to receive that IM . . . Thank you for your help.

nocturne
Former Member
Message 12 of 22

Dear Selvan,

Two seperate McAfee agents repeatedly changed that LAN setting from proxy to automatic and rebooted my machine over and over. As noted in my first message: "When I change LAN settings in Internet Explorer (and I was told to try Firefox etc, but McAfee says they require Internet Explorer so they give me no choice either!), they are instantly changed back to proxy settings when I try to connect." That setting is apparently required by my ISP, and they swear they cannot change that. They require a dynamic IP address. That seemed to be the only trick this "top tier" McAfee technician had in his toolbag, and when he got tired of doing the same thing over and over, he blew me off telling me only my ISP can fix this problem, but he assured me it was a very simple fix. That simply wasn't true.

Wes

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 22

OK I'll leave you in the capable hands of Selvan and Pritish.

nocturne
Former Member
Message 14 of 22

I have not heard from McAfee after leaving my phone number in the private message area 2 days ago. So my computer is still completely vulnerable - McAfee is not running. I am still stuck. So any ideas would be very much appreciated. I don't know what else to try, and being disabled and on limited funds it is not easy for me just to scrap this and go out and buy Norton. Maybe that's what it takes since McAfee can't seem to figure out anything anymore (after their tech support was through on my computer last time - dumping the whole thing on my ISP incorrectly - Internet Explorer wouldn't even run, and that has never had a problem on this machine). So if anyone has suggestions, I would love to try them, and thank you in advance for taking your time to hear about a stranger's problem and try and help . . .

Wes

Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 22

PM Selvan as well as Pritish they could be on a Rostered Day Off and will be back soon.

Pritish
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 16 of 22

Hi Nocturne,

We are really sorry for not being able to contact you. We have replied to your PM on the time and date in which you will be contacted by our Tech Support Team.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards

Pritish P.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 17 of 22

Hi Wes,

I reviewed the entire Tech Support Session with the representative. Am able to see that the Proxy Settings is enabling Automatically upon Restart. Please let me know If you are using any 3rd Party applications for enabling Proxy Servers. The Support tool clearly marked that there is a Proxy server detected which is the cause for Update Failure which in turn caused Real Time Scanning to hang at Start.

Once we are able to remove the Proxy Server McAfee will Update Successfully and have protection against the latest threats.

Also from your account information am able to see that you have a Trial Subscription valid until Aug 2014. Refunds are applicable only to Paid Subscriptions and not for Trials.

Regards

nocturne
Former Member
Message 18 of 22

Dear Selvan,

My software was bought and paid for - not a trial. Was given some credit supposedly earlier because McAfee wouldn't run (when I had dial-up and they were blaming failure in part on that, so maybe it shows up as trial? Not a TRIAL, I want to be clear - I paid full retail price. And since McAfee hasn't worked since it was bought a refund would be the decent thing to do. McAfee this time already told me the problem is my ISP using proxy server settings and my ISP could "easily" fix that. My satellite ISP says proxy server settings are being used because they "require" a dynamic IP address. I do not know of any 3rd party application on my system which is enabling proxy servers - your guys have taken over my computer enough times to know that themselves and they didn't comment on anything. I left my info and best times for a callback which never came. So I am right where I started: hung out by McAfee. It is YOUR software, and only YOUR software, that is the problem, and all you do is point fingers - you only have a trial version (total BULL), it's your ISP, some 3rd party problem, etc. (Previous problems you had other excuses. These are just the latest.) The last guy who took over my computer scewed up internet explorer so bad it took me hours to get it running again, and NOTHING was wrong with IE before that. That's your "upper tier" support? Just changing my computer willy nilly wo asking or explaining anything, and making my situation worse? So according to McAfee, no one with Dish satellite internet (now ViaSat) has virus/security software. Could someone here tell me something helpful, or tell me where "real" support might be obtained???

Wes Johnson

PS. Formerly owned a computer business and have personally sold and recommended your product hundreds of times. That was years ago. Now I would say (and do) AVOID MCAFEE like the plague. Your software is now terribly flawed, your "virtual technician" and your support are awful, and worst of all you don't do what you are paid to do - you don't protect a person's computer in an age where that is essential.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 19 of 22

Hi Wes,

Please let me know whether you purchased McAfee from a Retail Store or Online and Name of the Retailer / Website. Whether It came bundled with a laptop or any other Product.

Kindly Private Message me the Email Address that you registered with McAfee + the name of the Computer where McAfee is installed.

This is to Check the correct Information that we have in our Database , Kindly Co-Operate..!

nocturne
Former Member
Message 20 of 22

It was bought retail @ Wal-Mart in York SC and I paid full price. It was NOT bundled with anything. Was I not perfectly clear about that? It's not a demo, a promo, or trial. I bought it because I thought I needed security software; I just didn't know McAfee no longer makes functional software with proper tech support. Never got that phone call I was promised - why was I asked to give my number and best time to call if YOU NEVER INTENDED CONTACTING ME??? (How many days now?) Kindly co-operate? Is that a joke? I'm just asking for this junk to function, what do I have to do to make you feel like I'm "co-operating"? How many MONTHS do I need to co-operate for this cr*p to work, how many excuses must I pretend to believe? Will you fix it then??? BTW, my McAfee is registered; you have my name (Wes Johnson), my e-mail, my computer's name - you have everything about me. I gave you the reference number I was given in the last IM (what you call IM, really just a private message) on this site. You know exactly who I am if you want to. Look it up on your c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r . . .

Wes

York, SC

XXX-XXX-XXXX (you have this already if you intended to actually help)

Don't ever buy McAfee . . .

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community