cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laobaixing
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

McAfee tech support screwed up my browser settings!!

See attached file re problems i have had with McAfee virus scan.

PS: why cant i copy and paste a WORD doc into this panel???

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/12/11 1:20:47 EST PM
10 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: McAfee tech support screwed up my browser settings!!

SR484570-793883754      

Did you have any previous security software installed prior to installing McAfee?

What type of operating system?

How much available RAM?

How do you connect to the internet?

Are you up to date with all Windows and Microsoft security updates?

Have you had any virus or malware issues?

When you open McAfee is the Scan Using Minimal Resources Box checked?

Please post back so we can get you fixed.

Message was edited by: k3tg on 12/4/11 10:51:01 AM EST

on 12/4/11 10:52:03 AM EST
Manoj_AR
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

I had the similar issue in past and all fixed when I re-installed the Chrome.  Please try and let me know the status.

You can re-install from the below website: http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=en&brand=CHMI

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Footnote:  you could have copied and pasted the contents of the document into a post as text but I find sometimes the different fonts used in Word/Office don't always transfer well so I prefer to paste it into Notepad first and edit it.   Then copy and paste from there.

By the way. never post phone numbers or other personal information in a public area.   I edited your document and reattached it.   Support would ask you for you personal contact details only as and when they need them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/12/11 1:22:33 EST PM
laobaixing
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Thanks, Tom, Peter and Mannie, for replies! My first time here and it's encouraging to think that someone actually reads posts and offers useful comments.

OS: Windows Starter 7 (a bit of an abomination itself) on my Acer Netbook Aspire One

RAM: I had an additional GB installed. Now runs better. 2 GB.

I'm in an office building in China with telephone company internet; hard wired into internet.

I think Windows Defender is installed automatically (??), but no other free or commercial product installed.

Windows and MS security all up to date, as far as i know. They are supposed to update automatically, and it appears that they do.

I've not had any malware or virus issues for a long time (many months).

I've had McAfee for about two years now; latest sub started in Sept. this year.

Scan using minimal resources?? not on the McA homepage of my app, and i don't know where this option is located.

I did re-install Chrome after the issues appeared, without deleting the previous version first, but nothing was fixed/improved/changed. I don't want to delete Chrome before re-installing because i've got a ton of bookmarks that i don't want to lose, which i assume i would if i delete Chrome.

I tried copying and pasting from WORD but the "paste" option on right button does not highlight when i come back to this forum, so had to attach doc.

Thanks for tip re personal contact details and for deleting; i read that but didn't remember that i had put them into my doc

Thanks for any further help/suggestions you may have.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 11

Use the hot keys Ctl V and that will paste it into here.

Use Minimal resources in scheduled scan and custom scan settings only. Re other issues will let those with chrome take this over

Is the scan stopping on a particular file?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/12/11 7:27:54 AM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Hi 'laobaixing,

I have sent you an email requesting for more information for facilitating a call back from us , please have it replied at the earliest so as we could help you resolve the same.

Regards,

laobaixing
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

I’m still waiting to hear from the McAfee gurus re fixing my browsersettings that McAfee Tech Support screwed up. Are you there??? You said you would help me. Is this just another example of McAfee incompetence and failure of customer service? What are the odds that i will renew my subscription with McA. next time??? right!

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Did you get the email that Dinesh sent you?

laobaixing
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Yes, i got the email from Dinesh and i answered him 2-3 days ago, but have heard nothing back since.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community