cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 59

Re: McAfee stops running

No sorry will remind them. Ever thought it could be something wrt win 7 that mcafee cannot change?  Can you post your current version of security centre please

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/09/12 6:59:35 AM
Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 59

This from 1 of the mods

XP has 3 modes, actually - Active but with a screensaver, Standby (low-power state with all programs in memory) and Hibernate (all programs written to disk, computer powers down but can be restarted without a reboot - XP copies the pre-Hibernate state from the file Hiberfil.sys back into memory). Just about anything will bring XP out of Standby, including pressing a key on the keyboard, nudging the mouse, dropping a book on the desk - so a scheduled scan would probably re-activate XP. But nothing wakes XP from Hibernate except pressing the power-on button. Same goes for Sleep Mode in Win7 I would have thought.

So what mode was XP in?

damurrs
Contributor
Message 13 of 59

Thanks for the response. 

I don't have the computer anymore but I know hibernate was not an option because it was a desktop.  I ran it in standby.  My point is, even in standby, Mcafee ran a scheduled scan to completion.  I never had the problem I am having with this version of McAfee and Win 7.  Honestly, I would have downloaded a different product if I had.

Win 7 is set at the Dell recommended settings so this was not something I set custom.  All of the power settings are variations of each other.  Either Microsoft or Dell or whomever recommends display off and sleep settings.  I sincerely doubt any manufacturer defaults to no sleep setting.

My entire point to this is McAfee stops when the sleep setting is activated.  Either I have to stand at the computer to manually take it out of sleep or set my sleep setting to around 4 hours permanently for the scheduled scan.  Even that makes no sense because my scheduled scan is at 2am (low activity) and I would have to be using my PC up until that time.  Otherwise the 4 hour window expires and I'm back to the same issue.

So what McAfee is forcing the user to do is either:

- Do not schedule scans and run them manually when you know your sleep window is large enough

- Do not set the sleep setting at all so a scheduled scan can start and complete without an issue.

Neither is a good customer experience and both reflect poorly on McAfee.

I'm looking for a solution and a suggestion is McAfee should override the sleep setting during a scheduled scan.

Honestly, this is very frustrating.

Art

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 59

If I do not get an answer soon I will bring this up at Monday's meeting we have.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 15 of 59

Tony,

Much appreciated.

Art

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 59

Tech needs

1 versions of Mcafee you are running.

2. Is win 7 32 or 64 bit.

3. Go through (detail) the steps you used to set win7 sllep. I do not use it but if you lay out what you did I will try it both on retail version and the new 2012 beta and see what happens.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 17 of 59

Hi Tony,

1. Versions I am running:

Virus Scan Plus

Security Center

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.678

Virus Scan

Version 15.0

Build 15.0302

Boot DAT Version 6824.0

Engine Version 5400.1158

Personal firewall

version 12.0

Build  12.0.360

Site Advisor (v 3.5) and Quick Clean and Shredder (v 11.0)

2. Windows 7 64 Bit

3. How to set Windows 7 Power Options

Start|Run

Enter Power Options

It does not matter what I select but these two choices are set the same way.

Select Preferred Plans

Select Dell

Select Change Plan Settings

Turn off display: 10 minutes

Put the computer to sleep 30 minutes

Select Save Changes

or

Balanced  (Recommended)

Select Change Plan Settings

Turn off display: 10 minutes

Put the computer to sleep 30 minutes

Select Save Changes

There are advanced settings I have never modified and are set as Dell or Microsoft determined.  My guess is they are their default values.  I do not know if the advanced settings are the same for the two choices above.

I hope this helps and thanks again for listening and working with me on this issue.  Let me know if I can provide more information.

Art

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 59

OK will try it  in a day or so busy atm. There is a 11.6 version out but you have not got it yet.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 19 of 59

Hi Tony,

Just a friendly reminder to see if you found anything.

Art

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 59

Looking at the sleep settings it appears you've left them on the default settings - sleep after 30 minutes. That's 30 minutes of user inactivity, not necessarily 30 minutes of system inactivity.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

This distinguishes between "Sleep" (equivalent to Stand By in XP), which leaves everything in memory but goes into a low-power state ready for immediate resumption; Hibernation (which has the same meaning as in XP) where everything is written to disk and the machine powers down - used mostly on laptops; and a new one for Windows 7, "Hybrid Sleep". This is for desktop PCs, and is turned on by default. Everything is left in memory but is also copied to disk before the machine goes into a low-power state.

The link provided by Sc00ter in post 7 (from Microsoft Answers) provides one possible answer to the question of why the PC goes into Sleep Mode in the middle of a scan.

If there is no user interaction for a certain amount of time, then the computer will go into sleep mode even if an application is running in the background. This is not a bug.

... Windows sends a notice to all open apps and says "I'm about to sleep, anyone have a problem with that?" And Windows Media uses a feedback to decline the request to sleep.

I don't believe the operating system itself would be able to universally "know" when you don't want to sleep, because the program has to be built to understand and respond to the "I'm about to sleep" notice.  Otherwise, Windows has no idea the program is busy doing something.

Answer from Shawn Keene (MVP), May 3 2011

So it would seem that McAfee's programs don't have the ability to receive or respond to that call from Windows that says "Is anything running that doesn't want Windows to go to sleep?"

It would certainly explain what's happening.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community