Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damurrs
Contributor
Message 1 of 59

McAfee stops running

Hi,

I am running McAfee on my Windows 7 computer.  I previously used McAfee on a Windows XP computer with no issues.

However, McAfee stops when my Windows 7 computer goes to sleep. This was never a problem with XP.

Is there a setting I can change (other than stopping Windows 7 from sleeping) so my Virus Scan does not stop its scheduled scan?

This is incredibly annoying.  As I said, this problem did not occur with XP.  The computer would sleep and the Virus Scan kept running.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

58 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 59

Re: McAfee stops running

All I could dig up was it should not run when in the hibernate mode. Let us see if another mod or tech can answer it. Is it anything to do with bios wakeup settings?

damurrs
Contributor
Message 3 of 59

I heard the same from McAfee technical support.  It is hard to believe a virus protector with the reputation of McAfee has been built incompatible with standard sleep mode.  This scheduled virus scan started on August 28 in the morning.  It is now August 29, 24 hours later.  The scan is only 50% complete because my computer goes into sleep mode, as it is properly designed to do.

This is a bug that needs correcting by McAfee.  This did not occur with Windows XP and the version of McAfee I was running on that machine.  This bug makes McAfee unusable as designed unless I am willing to change my settings at the time of the scheduled scan (no point to the scheduled scan then).

Art

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 59

Art what was the version you were running on XP? I have flicked this up the line for comment. What is the time between sleeps scan should if you do not have use minimal recources selected scan a normal PC in 1 - 2 hrs mine does.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 5 of 59

The version I was running was purchased in 2007 and renewed up until 2012.

McAfee SecurityCenter via Dell

My PC sleeps after about 15 minutes.

The scan is still running now, again, because the computer goes to sleep and virus scan stops.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 59

Ever thought of a 2hr sleep cycle. I have asked the techs so will let you know the answer.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 7 of 59

Hi Tony,

Here's the thing- why should I have to adjust the sleep cycle because McaFee fails to operate properly?  So if it takes 3 hours for the virus scan to properly run I should setup my sleep cycle to 3 hours?  No, the issue is not the sleep cycle.  The issue is McAfee. 

If your car's clock stopped running everytime you turned off your car would the solution be to keep your car running?

This is a fundamental bug in the product.

Thanks for following up on this with the techs.  Much appreciated.

Art

Sc00ter
Former Member
Message 8 of 59

Microsoft made Windows 7 more power conscious.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-computer-goes-into-...

I have a Windows 7 Ultrabook and am experiencing the same behavior.  I am considering using a program like SetPower to mirror my scan schedule (i.e. only suspending sleep for the day and time period of scan).  But right now I am more concerned about putting the laptop battery through too many charge cycles.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 59

No answer yet with rechase them later on today

damurrs
Contributor
Message 10 of 59

Hi,

Any answer back yet on this issue from tech?  The problem still occurs.

Art

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community