Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usermn
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee services run for unknown reason

Jump to solution

I use Windows 8.1 64-bit on a computer where I'm the sole user and administrator.

Under the Services tab in System Configuration, I can see two services running where the manufacturer is said to be McAfee, Inc. These are

McAfee Firewall Core Service

McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service

I do not remember installing any McAfee software. In Programs and Features in Control Panel, no McAfee software is listed. According to Windows Firewall, the ordinary Windows firewall is in use.

Are the services genuine? Why are they on the computer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee services run for unknown reason

Jump to solution

Genuine? I would say yes.

Why are they there? I don't know, but if you have run McAfee Stinger, that installs those services; if you have run Security Scan Plus that might have done it.

The important thing is that you should be able to lose them easily  by running the Uninstall tool -

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Genuine? I would say yes.

Why are they there? I don't know, but if you have run McAfee Stinger, that installs those services; if you have run Security Scan Plus that might have done it.

The important thing is that you should be able to lose them easily  by running the Uninstall tool -

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
usermn
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

I did run Stinger a few years ago, that's true. The Uninstall tool that you suggested worked. The processes do not appear in System Configuration any longer. Thank you.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Happy that it worked 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community