cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

McAfee's "Incoming event log" & "Threat Detection" log - problem with...

I noticed today, March 23, 2011 that the Incoming Event Log and Threat Detection Log (where all the various cookies are listed) are only showing information up until March 21st at approximately 9:16 p.m. (U.S. Eastern Standard Time).  These two logs have always contained massive event records for EVERY, SINGLE, DAY...up until the aforementioned date/time; after that, there is absolutely nothing.

I have run a full scan with McAfee, as well as, Malwarebytes.  Nothing has been detected.  The "McAfee Virtual Technician" reported only some sort of apparently minor "registry" error which it corrected.  All settings for scheduled scans, firewall, etc are the same as they have been for many months.  ALL updates are current as well.  Since the McAfee Security Suite software is provided by my ISP (free of charge), I spoke with one of their tech staff - who was just as perplexed as I was.  I then got transferred to someone obviously in India, who could not help since my McAfee software is not an individually-purchased license by me.

Next, I managed to get into an on-line chat with a McAfee support person.  Despite my concisely and in plain English...describing the problem...this support person was as unhelpful as the other people contacted.  I have spoken with someone "higher-up" at Cox Communications who is going to try and get through to someone at McAfee who might be able to figure this mess out.

Does anyone here have ANY idea WHY this problem just began on March 21st and has NEVER occurred before...and HOW I might resolve it?  Could this be some new virus or malware which McAfee and Malwarebytes are unable to detect?  I have not yet done a System Restore, but I will try that after finishing this post...and just hope for the best.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 3/23/11 8:35:55 PM ADT
4 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee's "Incoming event log" & "Threat Detection" log - problem with...

MVT found a problem with a registry setting, so that might have something to do with it.

Open your Security Centry and click on Navigation, then on About. That will show you the date & time of recent updates, including to any of the McAfee components. See if anything got updated on the evening of the 21st. There have been some updates, but they're not affecting my system in the way you describe.

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks very much for the info Hayton!  The log you indicated does not show anything updated on March 21st, but does show an update made today to Virus Scan, version 14.5, Build:  14.5.130, DAT version:  6294.  I did go and perform a "System Restore" back to 12:58 a.m. on March 21st, then had to re-update the McAfee software (since it was now giving me the red indicator status of my computer not being protected).

After doing that, the protection status went back to the green (computer-protected) status.  In checking the Incoming Event Log at this point, I see it is now properly displaying all the usual massive number of daily port access attempts it normally shows including all the missing data for the past two days & today as well.  Lastly, I logged on to the Internet and visited one site, then logged off.  When I checked the "Threats Detected" log, it showed the particular cookie associated with my visits to this particular site (with today's date and time being shown).

A McAfee full scan is already scheduled for the early morning hours of March 24th, and I will perform another full scan with the Malwarebytes program March 24th as well...just to make sure everything is o.k. on that end.

So it appears as if everything with the "History and Logs" section is functioning normally again now!  Again...my sincerest thanks for all your help!

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Just wanted to let you know this document is available to assist with any virus or malware issues you may experience and has another scan in it called Stinger should you ever need it.

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

My thanks to you as well, Tom, for the additional info!  One thing I've been impressed with in the short time I've been a part of this site is the sizable number of individuals with extensive knowledge and expertise in dealing with the many varied problems presented in the discussions.  Thanks very much again!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community