cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aquarius
Former Member
Message 31 of 75

Re: McAfee keeps deactivating

Been using McAfee for years, never had a problem before.

1 Windows XP & 1 Vista computer no problems with this subscription.

Does everyone have it on a Windows 7 computer? Because I have a 4 user liscense, but the only ones that deactivate are the 2 with Windows 7 on them.

Happened again today.

Got the message.

Went to the McAfee website and deactivated that computer  - My Account, click where it says Subscription 1, click to deactivate the computer that you are having problems with.

A message came up that that computer protection would be deactivated in 7 days. Say what ? I already have the message it has been deactivated !!!

Restarted computer, deactivated message came up, click to Activate again right there in the pop up

That worked, it activated again. (Before it had repeatedly gone to the "pay for another computer" page)

Checked my account, list shows another computer with the same computer name as Active. So far I have 2 listings each for the same 2 computers

5 hours later, McAfee deactivted again

Grrrrrr!

Am I actually supposed to wait 7 days before I can activate that computer again ? Get real !

Message was edited by: aquarius on 1/8/11 8:20:47 AM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 75

Call Customer Service, it's free.  They should be able to sort the problem out.

See the link under Useful Links above.

I recommend the phone as it is the fastest, if not then try the Chat option.

aquarius
Former Member
Message 33 of 75

Been there, done that. It keeps happening again. I don't believe it's a problem with my computer. It's a problem with their Activate/Deactivate routine.

If I bought a new computer, and deactivated the old computer, I'm supposed to wait 7 days before I can install it on the new computer?

MountainKing
Former Member
Message 34 of 75

Problem solved by the Danish McAfee Support - it was a license problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 75

That's good MountainKing but Aquarius perhaps try Technical Support Chat in that case as I can't understand how it would happen if Customer Service fixed the account.....other than perhaps deleting your cookies and temporary files perhaps?

spede1
Contributor
Message 36 of 75

Have any of you having this problem uninstalled and reinstalled the software?  If you have, does it show the same computer name more than once under your account?

One thing that I've noticed that may cause this problem is that when you go under you user account on the website, sometimes it will show the SAME computer more than once.  Lets say it shows one computer twice under your activations.  If you only acitvate one of the same computer (names), I think it gets confused and deactivates.  McAfee should give the users the ability to REMOVE old activations from their account instead of keeping a running history of activations.   I despise Trend Micro but I McAfee should implement their activation control like TM does.

BTW, my computer also kept deactivating.  I finally got ticked enough to uninstall McAfee permenently, I'm not calling support every month or so.

aquarius
Former Member
Message 37 of 75

Update - uninstalled McAffee today, and re-installed it. This time it removed the duplicate listing of the computer from My Account page (that has never happened before), and the program is now active. Hoping this means they have fixed the problem. Crossing my fingers it doesn't deactivate again tomorrow.

aquarius
Former Member
Message 38 of 75

Forgot one part - I didn't uninstall the software first. I just went to the site, and told it to install the software like it was never in there to begin with. Maybe that somehow made a difference?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 39 of 75

That's great.  So it would appear that it was an account issue possibly.

rck213
Former Member
Message 40 of 75

Dell computer, McAfee preinstalled, purchased November 2009....just renewed subscription for 59.99.   Verified subscription and all was well last night.  Today when first turned on computer warned McAfee will deactivate in 6 days.  Uninstalled and used the removal tool then reinstalled with same result, to reactivate they want 15.99

This is ridiculous...did send e mail to support SR 623850368
I see with this thread this seems to be a common problem.  My account page shows I am renewed till January 2012

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community