Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1 of 7

McAfee interferes with games

Jump to solution

A few weeks ago I had problems with running Rocket League on my desktop. I asked around on Steam and they said 'Try turning off your real-time scanning'. This worked for me but it's really annoying to turn it off every time I want to play. Yesterday I discovered it's not only Rocket League but also Super Meat Boy. Never had problems before with McAfee closing or crashing my games.

I know I can whitelist these on my own but it's still annoying..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Felix_I
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 7

Re: McAfee interferes with games

Jump to solution

Hello @DoubtsMcAfey,

Since you have tried the above steps and it did not work, try resetting the Real Time Scanning to default and check but if after resetting the Real Time Scanning and you still face the issue. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee on your computer.

Regards,
Felix.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Felix_I
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience you are facing with McAfee and games on your computer, please try initiating a manual update with McAfee on your computer. After the update with McAfee is complete, please open McAfee and follow these steps below;

1. Click on PC Security
2. Click on Real-Time Scanning
3. Click on Excluded Files and select Add file.
4. Navigate to the location and add the file

Once these steps are done, try accessing the games again and if you still face the same issue with your games, please do get back to us.

Thanks,
Felix.

DoubtsMcAfey
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

I'm having this same issue. I turn on the Glyph client and Defiance (the game) and Real-Time Scanning kills them after a few seconds. I turn off Real-time scanning and they work fine. I tried the steps in the above post. It didn't work. I recently got a massive update for total protection, but it didn't fix the problem.

Felix_I
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello @DoubtsMcAfey,

Since you have tried the above steps and it did not work, try resetting the Real Time Scanning to default and check but if after resetting the Real Time Scanning and you still face the issue. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee on your computer.

Regards,
Felix.

DoubtsMcAfey
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Got a dat update about 4 hrs ago. It seems to have fixed it... odd!  No problems so far.

Felix_I
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello @DoubtsMcAfey,

Pleased to hear that the DAT update has fixed your concern with the Real Time Scanning and you do not have any more problem so far, thank you for responding with the information.

Regards,
Felix.

DoubtsMcAfey
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

I looked at the "About" tab and saw an engine update the  same day I got the DAT. So I'm guessing the new engine + DAT did it. Any case, I haven't had any more trouble since. Thnx!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community