cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mbecks
Contributor III
Message 1 of 17

McAfee has built in adware and no solution to stop it.

Jump to solution

I have documented McAfees built in adware. I am not talking about the spam pop ups that are an actual adware virus I am talking about McAfees own software. 

here is the proof:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mcafee/s/jNAnCu4yrB

once presented with the evidence and knowing there was no way to turn it off this was the best they could do:

"I want to let you know that the issue is known to us and our Engineering team is working on fixing the issue. I will have the case escalated for now with no specific time frame. Once the issue is resolved, you will be getting a communication from them with the troubleshooting steps to be done."

Adding adware isn’t an “issue” that the engineers need to sort out. This is intentional adware added to a program 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chorn
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: McAfee has built in adware and no solution to stop it.

Jump to solution

OMG drives me insane, especially when it sometimes leaves a white/blank non-movable or closable window in the middle of my desktop! I'm leaving Mcaffee after many years. Hello BitDefender.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Chorn
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Jump to solution

OMG drives me insane, especially when it sometimes leaves a white/blank non-movable or closable window in the middle of my desktop! I'm leaving Mcaffee after many years. Hello BitDefender.

Mbecks
Contributor III
Message 3 of 17

Jump to solution

Putting your comment as the solution because as it stand now. The only way to get rid of this adware is to no longer have McAfee on your computer. I have had them for 10 years and this was the last nail in the coffin.

RK1
Contributor II
Message 4 of 17

Jump to solution

yeah, it's not a bug, it's a feature.  There used to be an option to turn off the internal up-selling advertisements.  You can still find the tutorials online.  But there was a conscious decision to annoy their customer base.    This forum serves as a wall to buffer the decision makers from their customer base.

I would say to just message Greg Johnson directly.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/greg-johnson-7724662_we-welcome-greg-johnson-as-mcafees-president-act...

He's new(ish) to the company.  Maybe he needs to be made aware that someone has made a decision to irritate the McAfee customer base.

DMClarke
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Jump to solution

Thank you for the link to Mr. Johnson's profile.  I just dropped him a note. 

It would be funny about a new executive team coming in and making the same old poor business decisions if it wasn't landing ads.

Kalik
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Jump to solution

I have this product running on 2 computers and it is becoming unbearable.  I am in the middle of working and these irritating popups occur.  I am about ready to say good-bye McAfee.  Maybe Norton needs to be given a try. 

Mbecks
Contributor III
Message 7 of 17

Jump to solution

I cancelled my auto renewal and will be going another way as well. It’s crazy they are willing to do this to long term users to try and squeeze anything they can out of us. 

Lemerond
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Jump to solution

I guess I'm going to cancel too then. 

Pangolin12
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Jump to solution

I have been using McAfee for over 10 years. Never had a virus problem but then again I am pretty sure that there are many other paid options that are just as good.

The ads that have started to constantly pop up are a real annoyance to me. I also think it is inapropriate to have ads in a paid product.

The fact that McAfee conciously decided to eliminate the possibility to turn it off is also telling...

It is not my place to lecture McAfee management about what is best for their business, mabe they have market research showing that these ads generate more extra business than what it costs them... However, as far as I am concerned, I have decided to switch provider and uninstall McAfee. 

tgria
Contributor II
Message 10 of 17

Jump to solution

I'm so irritated with these McAfee ads pop ups on my desktop and there's no way to disable it. And some of these pop ups are bordering on fearmongering, totally unprofessional of McAfee. Isn't it an irony that I paid to get spammed by a service that's supposed to protect me from spams?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community