Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roncit
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

McAfee control center says firewall and AV are on, Windows says they are off

Jump to solution

I have Total Protection installed on a Dell PC with Windows 10 64-bit. While on IE (not Edge) I got Windows notifications that both the (McAfee) antivirus and firewall had been turned off. I rebooted and the McAfee Security Center (Dashboard) shows that the antivirus and firewall are running. However, Windows Control Panel's Security and Maintenance shows that the antivirus and firewall are off. Of course, Windows Defender's firewall is off since McAfee has control. I ran MVT which found no issues. I scanned with McAfee and Malwarebytes which found no virus. I should note that the McAfee security log shows that it blocked a suspect IP just about the time I got the notifications. Any idea how to confirm that McAfee firewall & AV are really OK and how to make Windows show it again?

PS. This is my 1st post. Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere, but I'd appreciate a point in the right direction.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Re: McAfee control center says firewall and AV are on, Windows says they are off

Jump to solution

In Windows 7 when I experienced this. I opened my Task Manager/clicked on Services/again/and scrolled down and ( Disabled ) my Windows Security Center. Then I went through the same steps,but this time enabled the service/ Started it/Apply/OK..afterwards it acknowledged that my McAfee software was in deed functioning.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

8 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: McAfee control center says firewall and AV are on, Windows says they are off

Jump to solution

Does this occur after every reboot/start-up? As long as your McAfee Security Center states that "Your Computer is Secure" you should not be concerned. There has been instances in the past of the Windows Control Panel's Security not recognizing Your McAfee software. Usually after a restart it once again acknowledges it.

You can also right click on your McAfee Red Icon in the lower tray by the clock. Select ' Verify Subscription' and it should show your software is active.

As for your McAfee software notifying you that it has blocked a suspicious connection on your behalf, One can view the Security History as well, to see all the instances this has indeed occurred.

I have even had it occasionally occur in Window 7 Sp1.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Moved from Support Forums to General Discussion >Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
roncit
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding. Yes, the Windows Sec & Maint  parameters are set red after each boot-up (haven't done a restart). The "Verify Subscription" item on the icon's menu does bring up a Windows "Do you want this app to make changes to your device?" box for the McAfee Synchronization App, but after clicking on "Yes" nothing happens. (Other items on the menu appear to work.) However, McAfee Security Center shows my subscription as active, as does My Account when I access it directly on mcafee.com. Yes, I did look at the Security History file, which is where I saw the logged time of the blocked intrusion. I have a nagging suspicion that some Windows 10 service has not been started up, namely the one that receives an indication from McAfee that it (McAfee) is up and running. Any ideas? Or, should I bite the bullet and do a reinstall?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

In Windows 7 when I experienced this. I opened my Task Manager/clicked on Services/again/and scrolled down and ( Disabled ) my Windows Security Center. Then I went through the same steps,but this time enabled the service/ Started it/Apply/OK..afterwards it acknowledged that my McAfee software was in deed functioning.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
roncit
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

How about this?!! I did a restart instead of what I had been doing before, a PC off/PC on boot-up. The indicators were reset. Go figure (but then again we're dealing with Windows). I'll proceed from there. Thanks again for your support.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

I was typing while you were   So are you saying that your concerns are addressed?

If so can we consider this discussion as 'Correctly Answered?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Thank you, I see that all is okay

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Since this thread is Considered 'Correctly Answered'. I am locking it as others upon seeing it, can follow the same procedure/advice.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community