cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvsotelojr
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

McAfee can't delete virus and file is hidden so I can't manually delete it

McAfee keeps on detecting a virus mwu.exe in my computer. Tried my luck on Malwarebytes but no threats were detected. I also can't trace the file using its full path. What should I do?

4 Replies
RagothKarnan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee can't delete virus and file is hidden so I can't manually delete it

Hello @bvsotelojr

Please let me know the file name and location which is showing in McAfee Quarantine items list.

Regards
Ragoth Karnan

bvsotelojr
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hello @RagothKarnan. Thanks for responding. The virus does not actually appear on the Quarantined Items list. However, this is the information provided after the full scan:

Infected Item: mwu.exe

Full Path: C:\Users\Jeriel\mwu.exe

Threats found: JTI\Suspect.131076!e55c673c4f70

I tried to locate it using the path but I can't see it. I ran the attrib command on cmd and it appears there labeled A SH. I tried to delete it on cmd but to no avail. 

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 5

Please visit the below path and check if there are any quarantined items

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine\quarantine

If the directory is empty it means that McAfee has already cleared the infection. Note that some infections require McAfee to reboot the PC for cleaning.

bvsotelojr
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Hello, @selvan. Thanks for responding. 

I followed your instruction and arrived at the Quarantine file in .db format which I opened. From what I have seen, it seems the directory is empty (I'm not that tech-savvy). 

I rebooted my PC, performed a full scan, and again, McAfee detects the virus mwu.exe and says it cannot delete it. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community