I have a D-Link DIR-825 router with an USB port connecting to a Seagate hardrive for files backup. About 3 weeks ago, my desktop running Window XP can no longer connect to the backup drive through a D-Link Shareport Utility though I can see the drive available on the router. On the other hand, I have a laptop running Window 7 can continue to make such connection to the backup drive. I have since reset the router and reinstall the software with update. The connection problem continues with the desktop while the laptop did not have such a problem until today. I contacted D-Link tech support and they said that it is likely an update from McAfee causes the problem and advised me to check the McAfee setting. I could not find any problem. Does anyone have any advises?
Please try the following:
1. Open McAfee Security Center> Click on Firewall> Settings> Program Permissions> Make sure D-Link Shareport Utility has given Full Access
2. Do you have any port numbers for D-Link Shareport Utility, if yes then navigate to McAfee Security Center> Click on Firewall> Settings> Connections, add those IP Address information and save as Home
3. Restart the computer and check the status
Check the network map make sure you see both the computers and router over there. Even add the IP Address of your router on both the computers and check the status
That is where I find problem.
1. I can ping from desktop to laptop and vice versus using computer's name, and I can ping from desktop to laptop using laptop's IP address but I got time out when I ping from laptop to desktop using desktop's IP address.
2. When I look at the My Network on the desktop, I can see the laptop as "online", and I can also see the desktop from my laptop showing as "untrusted". The desktop icon also disappears from time to time.
3. When I tried to change "untrusted" desktop showing on the laptop, it asked me to type in a password and it asks me to type the same password on the destop but I can find anywhere to type it in. then a message shows up on the laptop that Unable to trust PC - "desktop is momentarily unavailable. Please try again.
4. The desktop is running on Window XP with McAfee AntiVirus Plus while the laptop in running on Window 7 with McAfee Security Center. I had thought about upgrade the desktop to Window 7 and McAfee Security Center but the destop is almost 7 years old and it is not worth to upgrade it.
5. In any case that doesn't explain why both can connect to the router hard-drive with Shareport Utility since they both can see the router as "online".
New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.
Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership: