cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamveryannoyed
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

McAfee attempting to inflate my CPU.

I bought a laptop a while back, of course it had McAfee pre-installed onto it. It's been doing what its been doing best, being an annoyance but recently it's become more of one.

Every 10 seconds or so, a non-detailed pop up that usually just says the words "Virus protection" or "Firewall" and its at this point where McAfee inflates my CPU usage to 100% in turn causing my computer to lag.

I know why this is and it's because I didn't buy into their subscription and therefore is trying to make me believe there is a virus on my computer, and I cannot uninstall it.

Any help would be nice.

6 Replies
iamveryannoyed
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: McAfee attempting to inflate my CPU.

i expected as much from this cesspool of a company, scamming pieces of worthless garbage.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Have you tried removing through the normal procedure through the Control Panel/Programs and features/Add Remove/ Restart? Follow up by then using the http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp   to remove all traces.

Make certain you are current with all of your Windows Updates/Add-ons/Extensions. To include Internet Explorer also as McAfee and other vital programs use it to function properly.

I add that it simply may have needed a Reinstall, it happens.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

iamveryannoyed wrote:

i expected as much from this cesspool of a company, scamming pieces of worthless garbage.

Comments like that don't elicit willing help amd high CPU usage is not normal by any means.

You can't expect an answer in 5 minutes in any public forum.

You have to remove the software, pure and simple. Or...

Technical Support is free of charge and always available, it's just a phone call away...a free phone call.

Contact Support

BTW we are volunteers here, not actual company staff...this is a peer-to-peer support forum, so please watch your language.

Community Terms and Conditions.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

If you didn't renew your subscription, you won't be getting any useful protection, so just remove it using MCPR

It's not because you didn't renew - no reputable company uses tricks like that - if anything I would guess it's not even McAfee popping up these messages - it sounds like some "lookalike" malware.

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 7

iamveryannoyed wrote:

Every 10 seconds or so, a non-detailed pop up that usually just says the words "Virus protection" or "Firewall" and its at this point where McAfee inflates my CPU usage to 100% in turn causing my computer to lag.

You could post a screenshot of the pop-up message you mentioned to see if it is originally from McAfee. Also you could check if there are any other Anti-Virus applications installed on your PC

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

You should actually be very annoyed at yourself for continuing to use software when its license had expired....what do you expect it do, just sit there?

Obviously it's going to start popping up all kinds of warnings and suchlike.

Good luck with whatever security software you choose.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community