Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcjadesolo
Former Member
Message 11 of 20

Re: McAfee and Windows Defender

Jump to solution

The problem is that it's turning ON and OFF, even thought I have McAfee Total Protection and have it on. They were both coming ON and OFF, and the firewall is just off, or at least according to my computers Security and Maintenance. Right now it's saying that the Window Defender is on and that my McAfee is off, and it's not letting me change it.

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 20

Jump to solution

Action centre gives some incorrect readings often as it says no spyware protection but when You check Mcafee is green.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 20

Jump to solution

kcjadesolo wrote:

That doesn't help, and Windows Defender was off before it decided to start going off and on with the McAfee. And now it's on and I can't get it to turn on off at all. Tried uninstalling McAfee and it still didn't work.

Re: off and on...  I just posted this:

In Windows 10, Defender has a new feature, at least it does have in my W10 Pro & Enterprise rigs, where although it remains disabled, it will ask your permission to continue keeping up to date and do a periodic scan.  As I say this is a new feature, at least in my 3 Windows 10 installations and is perfectly safe to allow.

**If Windows Action Center is warning about Firewall and Defender perhaps the software isn't working correctly or perhaps you've been using Registry Editors which I strongly advise against........

Are you confusing with this ?  BTW all you should worry about is whether or not McAfee says it's protecting.   You can tell Windows Action Center to stop warning you about certain items, a perhaps that would help here?

opertom07
Former Member
Message 14 of 20

Jump to solution

exbrit your advice is straightforward and makes sense to me. However in my case there are complications from using a persistent proxy connection on a municipal network which is secured by Symantec. During the warranty period HP pretty much provided blanket coverage and authentication wasn't a big issue, but post-warranty authentication is now a big issue because the machine's bridge-related factory keys have been compromised (probably my fault) and it only runs in Win 7/Vista/8 compatibility mode. At least one app even runs in Windows XP on recommendation of the Compatibility Assistant. Intel/McAfee does a remarkable job of keeping the machine together but they don't operate in a vacuum, at least not in my case: in fairness to Symantec it is not unreasonable to scrutinize unsupported operating systems on their network by way of universally recognized apps like Windows Defender and MsMpEng.exe. Obviously in my case I've got a lot of work to do to get my beloved laptop back into working order, but I would just remind others that there are always larger issues and sometimes things aren't as simple as they should be!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 20

Jump to solution

opertom07 wrote:

exbrit your advice is straightforward and makes sense to me. However in my case there are complications from using a persistent proxy connection on a municipal network which is secured by Symantec. During the warranty period HP pretty much provided blanket coverage and authentication wasn't a big issue, but post-warranty authentication is now a big issue because the machine's bridge-related factory keys have been compromised (probably my fault) and it only runs in Win 7/Vista/8 compatibility mode. At least one app even runs in Windows XP on recommendation of the Compatibility Assistant. Intel/McAfee does a remarkable job of keeping the machine together but they don't operate in a vacuum, at least not in my case: in fairness to Symantec it is not unreasonable to scrutinize unsupported operating systems on their network by way of universally recognized apps like Windows Defender and MsMpEng.exe. Obviously in my case I've got a lot of work to do to get my beloved laptop back into working order, but I would just remind others that there are always larger issues and sometimes things aren't as simple as they should be!

Good luck 😉

w10user18
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Jump to solution

By informing users of a gap in virus protection, Microsoft is telling people they should enable a second anti-virus application (thus causing a security failure in their own operating system).  Not only are they providing the system that cross references and checks the availability of virus protection, they are allowing a security gap. I hope that more people become knowledgeable about this problem so that they will ignore these warnings instead of turning on Defender.

12Robert123
Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Jump to solution
Contact McAfee Support
karimovic
Contributor II
Message 18 of 20

Jump to solution

I suggest that you Disable *Windows Defender* as it is inconsistent with Your McAfee Software. Not at all like earlier forms, it has Anti-Virus capacities

Tags (1)
ThomasStathus
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Jump to solution

Just dissable windows defender and you'll be fine 😉 Computer will work even faster.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Malware analyst @ reviewedbypro
Bharani_BD
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 20 of 20

Jump to solution

hi 

Kindly check if there is any windows update pending, as an windows update should fix this issue.

To check for windows update kindly follow the below steps.

select the Start button, and then go to Settings Update & Security Windows Update 

Let us know if the issue still persists or if you require any help from our End. 

Regards,

Bharani

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community