Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcjadesolo
Former Member
Message 1 of 20

McAfee and Windows Defender

Jump to solution

I have McAfee Total Protection, my computer is an HP laptop, and I have windows 10. Mostly i like windows 10, but for the past couple of days my McAfee and my Windows Defender and the firewall have been shutting off and coming on, all by themselves. dose anyone know how to fix this and what causes this? I'm not very good with computers, but I know that this shouldn't be happening. Also is it ok, to get online with my computer acting this way?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bharani_BD
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 20 of 20

Re: McAfee and Windows Defender

Jump to solution

hi 

Kindly check if there is any windows update pending, as an windows update should fix this issue.

To check for windows update kindly follow the below steps.

select the Start button, and then go to Settings Update & Security Windows Update 

Let us know if the issue still persists or if you require any help from our End. 

Regards,

Bharani

View solution in original post

19 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 20

Jump to solution

I recommend that you Disable *Windows Defender* as it is incompatible with Your McAfee Software. Unlike prior versions, it has Anti-Virus capabilities. Running 2 Security applications as such at the same time, is a disaster waiting to happen.

All the Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 20

Jump to solution

Successfully moved from Personal Firewall to General Discussion > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
skanungo
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Jump to solution

As ​ already mentioned, you need to disable Windows Defender in order for McAfee to work properly. Disabling Windows Defender is little tricky as it gets enabled from time to time if you disable them from settings.

In start menu type regedit and provide admin password if prompted.

Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

After selecting Windows Defender in Registry Editor, Right-click anywhere on the empty space in the Registry Editor's right pane and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. This DWORD will be named as New Value #1 and will have a default value of 0.

Rename the DWORD to DisableAntiSpyware and change its value to 1 and click OK.

By this way you can completely disable Windows Defender in Win 10.

Note: Be careful while changing registry values. Follow the path as exactly mentioned here.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 20

Jump to solution

McAfee software disables Windows Defender & Firewall automatically, IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY (**see below).  Do NOT use registry editing, to accomplish anything to do with your security as it will cause malfunctions later on and, should you need to uninstall, an incomplete uninstallation.  That's dangerous advice.  In any case such editing should only be done under the live and personal guidance of a computer expert.

In Windows 10, Defender has a new feature, at least it does have in my W10 Pro & Enterprise rigs, where although it remains disabled, it will ask your permission to continue keeping up to date and do a periodic scan.  As I say this is a new feature, at least in my 3 Windows 10 installations and is perfectly safe to allow.

**If Windows Action Center is warning about Firewall and Defender perhaps the software isn't working correctly or perhaps you've been using Registry Editors which I strongly advise against EVER using.

Uninstall your McAfee products via Control Panel > Programs and Features, reboot if asked to.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Download new software from your McAfee Account web page only.  NOT from other sources.

A hint to save time:  Go to your account page and download the installer as "Save as" to your desktop.

That saves going online in the middle of this process.

The software will reset Windows Defender and Firewall to "OFF" or rather "Controlled by McAfee", or words to that effect.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 20

Jump to solution

I second Peter's thoughts. Disabling defender will open up your PC should you uninstall McAfee. I would leave things as is.

kcjadesolo
Former Member
Message 7 of 20

Jump to solution

That doesn't help, and Windows Defender was off before it decided to start going off and on with the McAfee. And now it's on and I can't get it to turn on off at all. Tried uninstalling McAfee and it still didn't work.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 20

Jump to solution

When you uninstalled Mcafee try also the MCPR removal tool. Then if defender an issue not a mcafee one.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 20
kcjadesolo
Former Member
Message 10 of 20

Jump to solution

I did that. had no effect.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community