cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 28

Re: McAfee Update around the 28th May causes Internet Explorer and Firefox to crash

Apologies for the delay, but I have the guide you need.

jimmymac50 wrote:

Hi, if you can give me a step by step guide to grab the technical info and look for an error code I will do my best and post it. Thanks for your help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/how-to-use-reliability-monitor

I ran through the steps in this guide and it does eventually give you all the information, although I found some differences (maybe the guide needs updating).

Some things to note : you need to start from the Action Center not Control Panel; then click on Maintenance and look for 'View Reliability History' under 'Check for solutions to problem reports' - it's the fourth option from the left. The red 'X' symbols are the ones to look for : click on one of those and then click on 'View technical details'.

Various threads on the Microsoft forums suggest you should run IE with all add-ons disabled as a test, in case you've gained an unwanted extra (such as a toolbar), and also run the Memory Diagnostics Tool (from Control Panel). Chances are the problem is with software not hardware, but you can't be sure.

For a little light reading on the subject (they all basically say the same things)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working-or/...

A good place to start, plus it has links on the right to a host of questions - all with the same title ....

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/160746-internet-explorer-has-stopped-working-message.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working...

... and so on.

Edit : I just saw what Peacekeeper posted. Now, this is ve-e-ery interesting. Hmm. You see, an application crash can be unintentional (program bugs, 99% of the time) or, just occasionally, intentional. Some hacker finds an unfixed bug and proceeds to use it ... when that happens a program crash is known as a Denial of Service, and can (often is) used as a means to plant malware on your system. Like I said, it's a 1% chance at most, but still ... might be an idea to run a scan or two just to check. Most probably, as we're all seeing it and it only started recently, this is a program bug on the McAfee side. Remember, a 0xc5 error is a memory violation, usually something trying to write to a protected area of memory. No idea though which bit of the McAfee program collection might be doing it : maybe the Windows technical info will help there.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 31/05/14 05:53:53 IST
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 28

Re: McAfee Update around the 28th May causes Internet Explorer and Firefox to crash

SiteAdvisor is crashing Firefox 29, that's confirmed by Mozilla. I posted that info to another thread which you may want to monitor : it's easier and more convenient for me to update only one thread.

See https://community.mcafee.com/thread/67411?tstart=0

Message was edited by: Hayton on 31/05/14 19:02:26 IST
jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 13 of 28

Hi,

Firefox 29.0.1

Mozilla Firefox EU

euballot - 1.1

McAfee 12.8

Build 12.8.958

Site Advisor

Version 3.7

Build 3.7.0.187

Site Advisor has a mind of its own sometimes it comes on with the green symbol but mostly it hasnt worked since installed. I have had McAfee for many years and all my various notebooks, pcs and laptops McAfee site advisor does not come on from start up.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 28

Thanks for the info. We're reasonably sure now that the fault lies in SiteAdvisor. I've got some Firefox crash reports and a bug report to wade through later tonight.

jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 15 of 28

Hi again

I did the action centre maintenance and just had another crash and viewed the technical data and here it isInternet error report.jpg

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 28

That ties in with what I've seen after Internet Explorer crashes. The faulting module in each case is ntldll.dll, but without access to a full stack trace it would be difficult to say exactly where the memory violation is occurring. I haven't yet seen this in IE11 but I don't use that version much (prefer Chrome and Firefox). It does crash IE8 and IE9, I'm not sure about IE10.

The chief suspect remains SiteAdvisor, as Mozilla have pinpointed a specific fault in a McAfee SiteAdvisor component, and that same component has been seen to cause the same or similar behaviour before.

(See this Mozilla report from 12/2008 : null pointer crash caused by mcbrwctl.dll)

If SiteAdvisor is the cause there is no workaround. You either accept that IE will crash at random intervals or disable SiteAdvisor in IE.

See : this IE9 Appcrash in ntldll thread for general advice on IE crashes

(https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/ie9-appcrash/c77d9ffd-98b2-4a80-804c-7f0c...

and http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/ntdlldll.htm for a troubleshooting guide to ntldll problems.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 01/06/14 19:43:45 IST
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 28

I must say that I have yet to experience any Crashes/Issues ,in Internet Explorer 11. Having said that....I have a friend whom is running Identical Version of MTP, and since the last 3.7.0.187 Build. She contacted me this morning incquiring about this.

At the Time of her random Crash, she was loading a Game on FaceBook-(BookFace) I call it.

She stated this had occured (3) times yesterday. I mentioned to her the issues users were experiencing whom run FireFox, and kindly asked her to Temporarily (Disable) her Site Advisor Live Add-on. And to kindly report back to me, if that resolved her issues.

As she is an avid Gamer (PoGo)  she has yet to experience another Crash? So far....I,ll im her later tonight to see if this has happened again to her. So, there quite possibly could be issues as well in Internet Explorer 11 However, as of yet. I have not seen any.

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/1/14 4:23:12 PM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 28

Just tried to contact my friend whom had several occurances of Internet Explorer Stopping. I,ll check back with her tomorrow,and have her check her (Action Center) and view the (Reliability Monitor) for any instances of it happening again.

So far, have heard nothing from her in regards to it occuring.....

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 19 of 28

Hi again

I disabled Site Advisor in my add ons in Internet Explorer 9. I thought I was ok for a day or so but it happened again and then when McAfee did an update, each page on IE 9 crashed. So it seems even if Site Advisor is disabled the problem is still happening for me.  This problem did start on 28th May same date people are having issues with Firefox.

Not sure if upgrading to IE 11 will make matters better or worse. Its a dilema what to do.  Looks more likely I will have to ditch McAfee

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 28

Just heard back from my Contact, that she has experienced no issues/occurances of Internet Explorer 11 Stopping/Crashing, since disabling her Site Advisor (BHO/Toolbar) Add-ons. Even though I have yet to experience such, it seems that the latest update is indeed effecting IE11 also.

Not as problematic as Firefox, however for some users.

Just thought I would add that.....

Regards,

Edited for typos

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/2/14 3:59:00 PM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community