cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 1 of 28

McAfee Update around the 28th May causes Internet Explorer and Firefox to crash

I have noticed since the 28th May approximately after a McAfee update both Internet Explorer and Firefox both crashed shortly afterwards. Same thing happens when I start my Internet Explorer, this happens once and then its ok until another McAfee update is installed and again both IE and Firefox crash. It states a program has caused IE to stop working. I can only think it is due to the McAfee update around the 28th and it happens after further McAfee updates and a fresh start on loading IE.

I am running Windows 7 IE 9.

I presume a lot of people come on the communities website to check if their problem is discussed. So please if you have the  same problem and you are not a member please join and add support. Of course this could be a problem just with my laptop. I could unistall MaAfee and run a test with IE and see if it starts ok without crashing. If it doesn't crash then it could well be McAfee but then do I reinstall McAfee or choose another source of protection like Norton? Any suggestions welcome.

27 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 28

Re: McAfee Update around the 28th May causes Internet Explorer and Firefox to crash

It may be coincidence but I'm seeing a lot of Internet Explorer crashes as well, although not yet on Windows 7 - perhaps because I prefer to use Firefox and Chrome on that machine. I just assumed it was something to do with being low on memory.

Next time it happens I'll grab the technical info and look for an error code - can you do the same? There's also a file with the name 'appcompat.txt' that might be useful if you're doing any investigation. I think it gets created as part of the error-notification process, so you might not see it after that process completes.

jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 3 of 28

Re: McAfee Update around the 28th May causes Internet Explorer and Firefox to crash

Follow up.

Managed to grab a screen shot of the message

Internet Explorer has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Close program

No solution is offered however

jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 4 of 28

Hi, if you can give me a step by step guide to grab the technical info and look for an error code I will do my best and post it. Thanks for your help.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 28

If I may add to the discussion.  Did you say that you were still running Internet Explorer(9)? And I assume that when you say Windows7, you have Service Pack 1 installed as well? For there has been critical updates to Internet Explorer 11 just this month.

I might add that in order for McAfee to function properly, Internet Explorer (11) has to be kept current and up to date.Are all of your Windows Updates Current, to include Add-ons, especially Adobe Flash Player (13.0.0.214).

I can,t say that I have experienced any "Crashes" to be quite honest.

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 6 of 28

Hi, yes I am on Internet Explorer 9 Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 64 bit Operating System. Have 6.0 GB Memory.

I get crashes in both IE and Firefox.

If you are  suggesting an upgrade to IE 11 it may not be the answer and Firefox is affected by the crash.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 28

Please install IE11 anyway...it should be offered by Windows Update or you can download it from Microsoft direct.

You might  also want to read the last link in my signature beloow to make sure you don't have any malware onboard.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/05/14 6:56:04 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 28

Either way I would involve Technical Support with this issue as it's a free phone call or online chat and they should be able to assist you.    The first thing they will ask though is are you up to date, so make sure of that first.

They are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 28

Can you also add what versions of

Firefox

Mcafee

Siteadvisor are you running?

No issues here or on my wife's 12.8 version of security centre.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 28

Closed the edit box above and FF 29.0.1 crashed with same message you are getting . First time ever seen here. This with MSC 13.6.953 beta version and SA 3.7.0.187.

Will monitor this as well

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community