cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sc00ter
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

McAfee Update Fails if Intrusion Detection is Turned On

I received the McAfee Total Protection 2013 on two Windows XP sp3 systems.  If I turn on Intrusion Detection and attempt to retrieve updates, the update will get the point of prompting to close UI and the UI will close.  The update attempts to install, but does not complete.  After the failed update, Internet access no longer works until a reboot.  I have already uninstalled and reinstalled with same behavior.  Keeping Intrusion Detection disabled under Windows XP allows updates to complete.  Since Intrusion Detection is disabled by default, most users should not experience this issue.  Updating on Windows 7 - 64 bit with Intrusion Detection turned on works fine.  Build levels are as follows for Windows XP systems:

Security Center                                         Build 12.1.253

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware     Build 16.1.144

McAfee Personal Firewall                       Build 13.1.127

24 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 25

Re: McAfee Update Fails if Intrusion Detection is Turned On

That's very interesting.  I could pass this on but we don't have our next conference call with McAfee until Monday next.   Intrusion Protection, by default, is turned off for the simple reason it's a new feature and they didn't want to cause problems by enabling by default.

From what we've discussed behind the scenes that feature is still being assessed and refined.  If it's a problem I would report it to Technical Support, otherwise I will pass it on next Monday.

I just tried it exactly as you described in Vista and it worked fine so it must be to do with XP.

Sc00ter
Former Member
Message 3 of 25

Thanks.  If you could bring it up on next Monday's conference call.  I had enabled Intrusion Detection and was wondering why the automatic update was not working on the XP systems.

miguelgrado
Contributor III
Message 4 of 25

Intrusion protection was in the previous version (11.xxx) of mcafee also.and i have always been enabled,but as I said in another post,in the version 12.1 when activated,firefox opens more slow until you cleared this function although the re-activate immediately or restart the system..i have w7 64-bit

Forospyware Warrior
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 25

#Sc00ter I've made it topic #1 for the next call.

#Miguelgrado, yes it's still got some teething problems.

Actually I was surprised it wasn't held back for beta testing only, although we never detected problems with it in the beta versions, so that's maybe why it was released.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 25

@Sc00ter, if this is the same as Intrusion Protection, what level of Intrusion Detection are you using - Basic or High?

Sc00ter
Former Member
Message 7 of 25

Basic.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Thanks, that will be needed when it's discussed on the conference call.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 25

We haven't found any other case of this so the consensus of opinion on our call is that you should contact Technical Support as I mentioned earlier.  Please let us know the outcome.

BTW I recommend you use the phone or online chat option, not email if offered by the website.

drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 10 of 25

You now have someone else reporting the same problems, and on multiple machines.  I have two Windows 7 machines and two Windows XP machines all running McAfee TP2013.  With the SecurityCenter 12.1 came problems for both Windows XP machines, specifically with the update function.  No problems with the Windows 7 machines.  On the XP machines, if I started a manual update, the process would progress, the application would ask to close the user interface for proper installation to proceed, the McAfee icon would disappear from the system tray and then reappear shortly thereafter.  However, I would never get a notice that the update had completed.  If it double-clicked the McAfee icon on the system tray I would get a notice that the update was in progress and to wait.  Ultimately I had to reboot as the update would never complete.  The shutdown took a very, very long time.

I tried completely uninstalling TP2013, using MCPR.exe and then reinstalling on both XP machines.  Still a problem.  I called technical support on 01/12/2013 (Service Request #1010708824). The tech said that there was a conflict between Windows Defender and McAfee.  He changed the WD setting from Manual to Disable, went to General Settings and Alerts and unchecked the Use Access Protection box and was able to complete a manual update of TP2013.  He indicated that to do manual updates I would have to uncheck Use Access Protection before manually updating and check it again afterward.  The problem is that after the session, I changed my settings back to their normal configuration and had the same symptoms as before during update.  Over the subsequent weeks of experimentation, I linked the problem to the fact that my settings include having Intrusion Protection-Basic set to on.  When the tech successfully manually updated, Intrusion Protection was off, as I looked at all the settings folllowing the session.  Windows Defender and Use Access Protection have no bearing on this problem at all.  (One of my Windows XP machines doesn't even have WD installed.) 

Once I unchecked Intrusion Protection on both the XP machines, they have worked fine.  However, I would like the extra security provided by Intrusion Protection and would like very much for McAfee to make whatever changes are necessary to allow it to work on XP machines.  (On another front, the tech session using GoToAssist left four files in the machine's Java Deployment Cache that can't be deleted using the Java Control Panel, which is kind of aggravating.)

Drek

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community