Here is my problem, my total protection program does not want to update. it come up with this message: "McAfee cannot update your software. Please check your internet connection. If the problem continues, please contact Technical Support."
It continues to do this. I click on the tech support button, and the self diagnostic program come up with nothing wronge. When i click to get updates manually, the program says the software is up todate.
I tried updating the registy files and it is still coming up with the same problem.
Here is what my computer is currently running:
Windows Xp SP3
McAfee product installed via CD
My current McAfee Virus protection DAT version is at 6152
Please clarify the following:
1. What type of internet connection you are using?
2. What is your default web browser (mention version details)?
3. How long you have McAfee installed in your computer?
4. Do you have any other security programs installed in your computer?
While you are answering those clear up your browser temp0 files and retry.
1. Highspeed cable
3. 2 weeks
4. McAfee is the only security program installed right now
We have seen these type of issues occurring either due to a different security software that blocks the update or a improper/fluctuating internet connection.
1.Please make sure that your system doesnt contain any remnants of a different security software that we have seen mostly to cause this issue.
2. Please click on start - then click Run -type the following command and press OK - %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
3. Make sure that the file that opens up looks like the one below;
4.. any additional entries below this can be deleted and save the host file.
5. Click on Start - click on Run and type - cmd and press OK
6.In the command prompt window, please type - downlaod.mcafee.com and let me know if it gives a reply from the site or does it give a loop back address such as 127.0.0.1
McAfee Online Community Moderator
New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.
Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership: