Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tester
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Total Protection and Windows 7 64-Bit Manually Update problem

Hi Forum,

I'm using McAfee for about five years or so and never had problems with it until the last "face-lift".

I'm running two Systems, first Windows XP SP3 with McAfee Total Protection 2010 and everything works fine on it.

Second Windows 7 64-Bit with no other Security software than McAfee Total Protection 2010 and for days i can't get updates on that machine.

I tried everything, i de-installed McAfee also used the cleanup tool and installed it with the download-manager from my account with no problems. I've noticed that i only can make changes to the settings like automatic update or scheduled scan when UAC is turned off. But when i try to update McAfee manually  it starts searching for new updates and it's searching and searching but never starts downloading updates neither gives a message that everything is up-to-date no matter if UAC is turned on or off.

Also when the automatic updates are turned on the Program won't update even when it reaches the time where McAfee will update automatically, instead the time will delay to a later time.

The machine with Windows XP SP3 works fine over the same Internet connection i can update McAfee TP 2010 automatically and manually.

Now I'm not sure if this is a 64-Bit problem and I'm absolutely clueless about what i can do or what is going wrong.

Hope you guys can help me .

Yours, tester

Excuse my poor English

2 Replies
sd22
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Total Protection and Windows 7 64-Bit Manually Update problem

I am using Windows 7 64 with Mcafee Total Protection. I updated to the new version of TP a few days ago. I have a issue that I hope will work itself out, but I can do updates. Mcafee offers two tools to help. It has something called a virtual technicion you can try and see if that works and solves your problem. Also Mcafee has a step by step procedure for doing a complete unistall. Then after uninstalling you should use their clean unistall tool. (mcpr.exe)

tester
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee Total Protection and Windows 7 64-Bit Manually Update problem

Hi sd22,

Thanks for reply.

The step-by-step uninstall was exactly what i did described on this page http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

but the update problem on Windows 7 64 Bit still remains.

I will try the MVT tool.

Greetz, tester

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community