cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milhouse
Former Member
Message 131 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Live Chat seems to have packed up... been queuing for almost an hour (have started three Live Chats as they each keep terminating after 20-25 minutes, though I did connect once only for the representative to end the session before initiating any communication) and now it says there are no representatives available, try later... Getting unhappier by the minute...

Thanks Ex_Brit for your instructions, bit of a life saver!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 132 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

It must be just overloaded then because live chat for your area is open 24/7.   Telephone support is only available 0900-1800 Monday to Friday however.   Did that fix the blank interface issue?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/12/12 8:50:16 EST PM
milhouse
Former Member
Message 133 of 149

Switched my location from UK to US (English) and got someone pretty much immediately. Unfortunately, he just directed me to the Australian McAfee web site, instructed me to download the installer from my Subscription account and then uninstall, reboot, and install. Did that, and now I have the Australian (en-au) version of Security Center v11.6.435... is this really the latest version of AntiVirus Plus, or should I be on v12.1? It seems impossible to get a later version. I know v11.6.435 has the memory leak, which version doesn't?

Going a bit demented here... not sure I can face another Live Chat only to go through the same rigmarole! 😉

Message was edited by: milhouse on 05/12/12 02:15:55 GMT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 134 of 149

The US, UK and AU servers were the first to get 12.1 but as it's not guaranteed at first try you may have just been unlucky.  They throttle the supply of new software so the servers don't get overloaded and so that any unforeseen problem can be nipped in the bud so to speak.

That should have got you 12.1 but did he suggest you run the MCPR cleanup tool after having done the normal uninstall?  Then reboot and install.   (It's listed under Useful Links at the top of this page).

If the tool wasn't run remnants of the old software could have affected it.

That's just a thought and my only one for now I'm afraid.

I'm calling it a night I'm afraid as I've been at this off and on since 5.30am, good luck and I'll be back in the morning my time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/12/12 6:53:45 EST AM
milhouse
Former Member
Message 135 of 149

No he didn't but the size of the software download from the Aussie server was the same as when I downloaded v11.6.435 previously so not sure if running MCPR would have helped. Back on Live Chat with the same adviser that recommended the Aussie server fix so we'll see how this goes...

milhouse
Former Member
Message 136 of 149

End of the road with Live Chat.

They've told me this is a "reseller" issue even though I download direct from McAfee using the code given to me by my employer, and that I will need to wait for the reseller to provide the update, which for all I know may be never.

@Ex_Brit: I'm going to try installing from the US servers, at least it will get me back on to en-us, who knows it might even pull down an updated version! The link to the MCPR tool isn't working anymore, do you have a working link? Many thanks in advance!

Message was edited by: milhouse on 05/12/12 03:10:08 GMT
Peacekeeper
Message 137 of 149

I know of a way to bypass the seller hold up as 1 user did was join the beta testers and you get the same 12.1 versions . Only issue is dats come every 4 days or so not daily.

www.beta.mcafee.com.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/12/12 6:48:58 AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 138 of 149

I download direct from McAfee using the code given to me by my employer, and that I will need to wait for the reseller to provide the update, which for all I know may be never.

That's what I was afraid of.  They will eventually release it but as Tony says, in this case the only way to guarantee 12.1 is go beta.   As he said it only updates every 4 days or so and you'll have to install all components of Total Protection, including Firewall, Anti-Spam and Parental Controls, although you don't have to activate the last 2.

More info:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/12/12 6:59:55 EST AM
milhouse
Former Member
Message 139 of 149

Thanks to you both. The beta programme sounds like it may have some draw backs so I think my options will be to wait another few weeks and hope my reseller (whoever that is) gets their act together and approves the update, or simply uninstall McAfee and switch to a different vendor entirely (at my own cost).

I find it quite shocking that a major bug like this - which can and has resulted in data loss - can be shipped and yet users have to wait upon a reseller for resolution when McAfee should be pushing a fix as a priority. I don't really care about getting v12.1, I'd be happy if McAfee patched v11.6 or even rolled back to the previous version which didn't require a reboot of an 8GB machine every 12 hours.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 140 of 149

The trouble is although it's major to some, it's a none event to  the majority of us who never experience it.    As everyone's setup is different these things unfortunately occur.

I am not forgetting this...I'll post back soon.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community