cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 121 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

daveett wrote:

Hi Ex_Brit

I can confirm that the updates are being distributed as I just recieved the latest update (build SC 11.6.435 / VS 15.6.231/ PFW 12.6.186) at 4:00pm Singapore Time / 03:00 EDT USA. I also confirm that it resolves the problem, memory is now stable and the PC is running smoothly. Phew !!!!

Thanks again for the support and info.

You're welcome and thanks 😉

@jonasii - that's one way of getting everything first, using the Australian servers.   Good luck 😉

@music2030, the fix will be expanded to the rest of the world shortly.    If I hear anything I'll post.

One thing you could do is uninstall, and then switch to the Canadian French location for your account downloads.

milhouse
Former Member
Message 122 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

I have this memory leak problem on Windows 7 SP1 using a free corporate edition of Anti Virus Plus (made available by my employer).

I'm fully up to date according to McAfee Security Center, how can I get this fix as I'm having to reboot once or twice a day (and this is on a machine with 8GB RAM).

In fact I'm going to have to reboot now as Windows is bothering me to say I'm out of RAM, I switched the machin on less than 12 hours ago and have barely anything running... ridiculous.

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version: 11.6

Build: 11.6.435

Affid: 550-41

Language: en-us

Last Update: 28/11/2012

McAfee VirusScan

Version: 15.6

Build: 15.6.231

Last Update: 04/12/2012

DAT Version: 6915

DAT creation date: 03/12/2012

Boot DAT Version: 6908.0000

Boot DAT Creation Date: 26/11/2012

Engine Version: 5500.1093

McAfee Personal Firewall is not installed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 123 of 149

I don't think the software is designed to operate without the Personal Firewall installed also.   If you are using Windows Firewall I recommend you install it as it offers better protection.   If another brand uninstall it and use any applicable removal tool then install McAfee's.   SecurityCenter should tell you it's available under Web and Email Protection.

In this particular case I think you should contact Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.   They are best for troubleshooting this issue.  It's free by phone or online chat.

lotty
Contributor
Message 124 of 149

Those are definitely the builds with the problem. You need to jump upto builds SC 12.1.253 and AV 16.1.140 .. problem solved 

I had to help my dad .. he was stuck on old version .. i used the chat support ... told the agent on the chat that i needed to get to the new builds .. explained my current install would not upgrade .. the agent did something behind the scenes and did the reinstall remotely .. ended up with the latest bulds installed

Now given you are working from a corporate version .. not clear if you will hit another hurdle but worth a try.

Good luck

milhouse
Former Member
Message 125 of 149

@Ex_Brit: I'm using the standard Windows Firewall (plus my hardware router firewall) - the McAfee Personal Firewall is not installed. I've been using McAfee for 2-3 years and only in the last few weeks have I had this problem. Other than this memory leak problem I've been quite happy.

@Lotty: Thanks, will give it a go. In the other (shorter) thread discussing the memory leak problem I see someone else (member outtasight) has the same problem with the same Affid and software version, with moderator Peacekeeper promising to "pass it up the line" but not sure what the outcome was.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 126 of 149

OK no harm done then.   The solution Peacekeeper found if I recall correctly was to upgrade to 12.1 as Lotty has explained.   Everyone* will eventually do that automatically but it is possible to expedite the matter as she explained.

*Those who get their software from 3rd parties (ISP's, PC makers etc.) may find that upgrade heavily delayed by the 3rd party, which is beyond McAfee's control.

milhouse
Former Member
Message 127 of 149

Just been on chat with Tech Support, he viewed my screen, applied some IE registry fix (I don't use IE for browsing, maybe McAfee does for updates), he told me to reboot and I'll get an udpate. OK, rebooted, got an update, but I'm on exactly the same version as I was before (DAT is new though - 6916, 04/12/2012)... back to Tech Support...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 128 of 149

Persevere with them as they have various steps they follow to troubleshoot issues.   McAfee's GUI uses IE so it's important that IE is always the latest version, up to date with Microsoft Updates plus any add-ons are updated too.  It doesn't have to be your default browser but McAfee uses it anyway.

milhouse
Former Member
Message 129 of 149

Second Live Chat, and the advisor uninstalled McAfee Anti Virus Plus, downloaded a new installer from my Subscription web page, advised me to reboot and install the new software.  I did as advised, all went well with no errors but now I have no access to the Security Center GUI - the system tray icon is unresponsive, double clicking on the McAfee AntiVirus Plus desktop icon results in a blank, white rectangle in the middle of the screen. Can't uninstall McAfee either, as it again opens the same white rectangle. Worse, the uninstaller reckons I have v11.6.435 installed so back where I started, but this time without a working GUI! Arggghhh....

Trying to setup a third Live Chat now, I've already been in the queue 15 minutes...

Edit: OK - fixed the white rectangle thanks to Ex_Brit's post here. Still on v11.6.435 though... more Live Chat coming up... Worryingly Virtual Technician says I've got no products installed... wonder if thats why I'm at the back of the Live Chat queue...

Message was edited by: milhouse on 05/12/12 00:53:35 GMT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 130 of 149

That's easily fixed.  See 'Blank' in my signature below and try option #1 or if you can't access it says.....

Solution 1

If McAfee SecurityCenter displays a blank screen, it may be caused by an incorrect registry key that references jscript.

Download, unzip, and then Run as administrator the script that fixes this.

1. Save any work. The script will ask you to reboot your computer when it completes.
  2. Click the following link and save the file to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcscriptfix.zip
  3. Unzip the file you downloaded.
  4. Open the new folder.
  5. Right-click mcscriptfix.bat and select Run as Administrator.
  6. If prompted, click Yes in the User Account Control box.
  7. As this script runs, a black CMD.EXE (DOS Prompt) window opens. When prompted, Press any key to continue... and the CMD.EXE window will close.
  8. Restart your computer.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community