cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronmefford
Former Member
Message 91 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Looking at some of the Microsoft KB articles, it looks like the leak might actually be in a error handling routine.  And the memory used by the error handling is not being properly released.  In that case he might be right that ignoring it is the right answer, and probably why no one else has created the issue, they never checked the "abnormal" condition to begin with.

Still no reason why we should wait this long for a fix to something that previously was working.

lotty
Contributor
Message 92 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Other antivirus vendors have dealt with the issue. I am certain other antvirus software have dealt with the issue as my PC runs without issue with other antivirus. McAfee understands the problem and had decided to leave users without any solution. McAfee was paid license fees to deliver a solution and that should include a reasonable effort to wrap or workaround Microsoft issues as other vendors have done. I understand the Moderators are just shuffling messages but someone must speak plainly for the users to MCAFEE. 

I have waited patiently for a fix since August and the problem has only grown bigger and more unmanageable. I have invested tens and tens of hours on the phone with McAfee engineering on this matter, plus more uninstalling and testing each new build, plus more just mindlessly rebooting my PC on a daily basis and working around the problem, not to mention the time to keep other users updated on this forum. 

Lets just say McAfee does finally roll out a fix for this. What happens the next time there is some coding curveball. Seems pretty clear McAfee does not care about the users or the product.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 93 of 149

Then substitute 'release' for 'ignore'.   I'm the first to admit that I don't always explain things as clearly as I might.

music2030
Contributor
Message 94 of 149

I am also suffering from this bug. I have to restart my computer almost everyday, running out of memory because of this memory leak which happens since two months.

Could you please flag the diffusion of the corresponding hotfix as a priority since it is really painful for your customers ?

Do you have an idea when this will be released ?

Is there anything we could do to put more pressure on McAfee so that their commercial or technical teams consider this as a top priority ?

By the way thanks to the moderators who give us frequent updates on the situation desptite it has not yet been solved.

daveett
Former Member
Message 95 of 149

Hi All - sufferers with the same affliction - just to add my non-technical two cents into the discussion.

For me the issue is not at all to find fault as to who did or did not do something.

I perfectly understand that MS is far from perfect and they change software with patches and updates as they see fit as they are not responsible for third party software companies. But for companies like McAfee, Norton,etc.. that is the name of the game and to even be in business they must adapt and adjust to MS bugs and / or fixes. The have to follow in order to get new or keep their existing customers.

I see this as a lack of responsiveness if its true that the other companies have already issued releases to adjust their software for this problem. The question should be where is McAfee in this? Is the decision not to release a fix or roll back a financial decision (like car companies to recall or not)?  Maybe the problem is isolated to a few like us and the priority is not there ?

The lack of responsiveness on this issue that affects us is worrying but as we have prepaid subscriptions what are we to do ?

I thank the moderators for raising the issue and providing what info that is available. I certainly don't want to shoot the messengers, but to the moderators, what course of action can we take other than calling technical support that can't fix the problem and they will only acknowledge that it will be fixed in the next core update (but don't know when). Are there places that we can send emails to try and push this? Is there a way to escalate the issue? As you have contact with McAfee maybe you could advise.

Hoping for a quick fix to be provided................

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 96 of 149

As soon as we Mods know when it's released we will post.  Believe me, we aren't too happy with the delay either.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/11/12 7:06:34 EST AM
mallen1966
Contributor
Message 97 of 149

I am having the same issue, I just inistalled Mcafee and now there is no memory leak.

lotty
Contributor
Message 98 of 149

After struggling with this memory leak on my main PC for more than 3 months I finally gave up last week and started looking at alternatives. I intend to try several of the antivirus / firewall alternatives via free trials but the first that I am still evaluating is Comodo.

So far the Comodo software has been a very pleasant surprise related to how much better my PC performs and has eliminated the need to reboot every 6 hours or so. I am trying to maximize uptime so I can watch the stability of the memory usage . So far I have had several 3 full day stretches without a reboot and the memory has stayed very stable at 3-4 GB of InUse non paged memory ( less than 50% of the PCs max).

My PC appears to have reverted back to its normal baseline before McAfee released the build with this memory leak (end of July). Further the overall performance of the PC has really improved including reduced boot times.. I think the McAfee memory leak was triggering other negative behavior with my display drivers etc. Since the switch I have not had any of those issues. Its almost like a new PC.

Good luck to all of the users that are sticking with McAfee.

jonasii
Contributor
Message 99 of 149

I read the whole the topic
I suffer with this problem s
ince the middle of the summer.
And notice, the amount of non-paged kernel memory is approximately 30% of the volume of data transmitted over a network connection.
Previously McAfee reinstalling did not helped, but now I downloaded the installer file v. 6.1.107.0, after installing, understood - the problem is corrected. Also advise download and try install the new installer version.

Sincerely, Vania.

music2030
Contributor
Message 100 of 149

McAfee installed an automatic update last night.

I hope this will fix the memory leak issue.

Let's see what happens in 24 hours for the level of available memory on my computer...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community