cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 31 of 95

Re: McAfee Total Protection - Firewall Stops & Stuck In Update Mode

The quick clean multiple instances fix will be out late next Month. At least this the current info I have.

jschilberg
Contributor
Message 32 of 95

Selvan,

At 3:15p CST I reloaded the software via the McAfee support web site under account>machine>reinstall. Here are all of my vesrions:

02-08-17 JRS McAfee Reinstall My Account.jpg

02-08-17 JRS McAfee Reinstall Version 01.jpg

02-08-17 JRS McAfee Reinstall Version 02.jpg

02-08-17 JRS McAfee Reinstall Version 03.jpg

02-08-17 JRS McAfee Reinstall Version 04.jpg

I'll go and do a bunch of browsing to see what happens. I'll report back before I shut down tonight on my results.

Best,

John

jkob
Contributor
Message 33 of 95

Thank you for the info Peacekeeper, I have 12 running right now.

By now the laptop it's been running for about seven hours and I still can access McAfee, it also made an automatic scan without problems.

jschilberg
Contributor
Message 34 of 95

Selvan,

The reinstallation resulted in the same result - My Chrome browser, Version 56.0.2924.87, failed by about 4:50p CST. Chrome crashed and I had to reboot.

I'm going to uninstall McAfee and go back to the Win 8.1 resident Windows Defender.

I hope this helps your troubleshooting.

John

alhana14
Former Member
Message 35 of 95

Hi Selvan

Here's the information you've asked for:

Release Name: 15.1 R0

Version of McAfee Security Center: 15.1

AFFID: 0

AntiVirus AntiSpyware version: 19.1

Engine version: 2883.0

I have 3 PCs running this, but 2 have issues with Chrome (and even IE, Firefox) after awhile.  The browsers would work for awhile, then stop responding after a bit.  Sometimes the entire computer would hang.  A friend of mine who works with PCs told me that it's due to Total Protection. He's since removed TP from the 2 PCs and replaced it with the McAfee AntiVirus software instead.  They seem to be working ok now. 

Peacekeeper
Message 36 of 95

Those 2 PCs were they version 14.0.R12? Bit hard to remember I assume.

There is an issue with that version , chrome and windows 7+ in that the analytkstsd process goes memory hogging. .  Re 15.1 this thread is the first time I have seen a 15.1 issue mine stable since day 1 and it was installed on first day available.  Will leave solution to selvan

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 37 of 95

I am running the same Version/Build ( 15.R0/15.1.156 ) also. No issues and has been installed since day one..10/17/2016. This was before the new installer needed enhancements.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 38 of 95

I've been having a similar issue.  It began on Jan. 11, a couple of hours after an abnormally long McAfee update.  I posted a thread about it here:  https://community.mcafee.com/message/431679#431679

Without rhyme or reason, my browsers stop loading web pages.  The wheels are spinning, but they won't load and I have to reboot to knock it back into place.  When this happens - two or three times within 10 minutes or won't happen for six hours - I can access anything on my laptop.  But when I click the McAfee icon, it will not open.

I've been troubleshooting but can't get it resolved.   I did call McAfee earlier this week, they uninstalled and reinstalled Total Protection.  But it didn't work, it's still happening.

One odd thing: Sometimes when this happens I can access google.com using Firefox (not IE) and even do a search.  But no other web pages load.

Version 14.0 R 12,  Sec. Center is 15.3, Build 15.3.3061, affid 0.  Using Windows 8.1

Update: I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2616268/laptop-losing-internet-connection-shows-network-conne...

Apparently something to do with the Windows firewall and triggers at the top of the hour.   My Windows firewall is not on.  But  I did check my event viewer to see what time I've been rebooting and many/most of them are either within the first eight minutes of the top of the hour or about 40 mins after the top of the hour.  So the boot times are not random.   (I do try and troubleshoot after it happens so the boot times might be late by a couple of minutes).  

Peacekeeper
Message 39 of 95

Does anything show up in task manager ie using high memory or cpu?

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 40 of 95

I actually checked into that yesterday, at least the memory.   It was using about 30% (total) during normal times and also when this triggers, so no big swing.  McAfee scanner service is at the top though, or near it, with Firefox up there too.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community