cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 71

Re: McAfee Total Protection Corrupts Any Browser?

Yes Really..... Being completely honest, doing so is at your own risk.

I will ask our internal 2.5 Technician/Engineer to add to this discussion.

​  Could you chime in here please?

Now I kindly digress....

All the Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
andyross
Former Member
Message 22 of 71

The real fix is to just give up on McAfee. Read a report awhile ago about a programmer for one of the browsers who complained about how many of these antivirus programs dig themselves in so deep that it interferes with their own security. They have found that their hooks into the browsers actually makes it LESS secure due to all the new bugs and hacking paths it adds.

As I mentioned, I have uninstalled McAfee and am just using the stock Defender and Windows firewall. No more issues. McAfee came free with my computer, so I'm only losing a few months of nothing.

There have been mentions of the newer version 15 'Lightweight' model. But it just sounds like a way to further stupidify it to the point where it's basically useless and the end user has no control over anything, yet will probably cost the same if not more for your 'subscription'. In this day of NAS and other multi-device storage, PROACTIVE scanning can prevent problems ahead of time from affecting devices that may not have reliable security, if any.

johnsikora
Contributor
Message 23 of 71

I don't disagree at all. However, in my 40+ years of running IT operations, the first objective is to make a software product that protects while doing no damage. This does not seem to be the case here. Not being hostile at all, must a gentle reminder to those that test and distribute the software. I'll probably stay a Mcafee customer (I've been one for years), but this bug really does make the environment almost unusable. Since I don't know what the root cause is, it could be something that Mcafee is the victim of rather than the culprit. But I do know that removing the real time scan fixes the problem completely. I'm defaulting to running more scans (daily or 3 times  week) as a precaution and I'll reenable in a few weeks or if I hear something more encouraging back. Thanks for the moderation and support by the way.

andyross
Former Member
Message 24 of 71

This is basically the 3rd failure I've had with McAfee. My older computer (bought Sept 2007) came with McAfee, too. After a year, I paid for another years subscription. Shortly after that, it updated itself. Then, a few weeks later, died. McAfee would not start up, and attempts to repair, uninstall, reinstall did not work. I went with MSE.

On a computer at work with VSE, it would not update the definitions most of the time. It would fail at some point. Sometimes it would work, or I would have to download and run the xdat to get it updated.

My mother's computer came with Trend Micro, which I have been paying for the updates (I bought the computer as a Christmas gift a few years ago.) Around Thanksgiving, an update caused an issue that created a BSOD on bootup. I eventually tracked it down to one of it's DLL's. I hid it, and was able to get it booted up. It repaired itself and is fine now. A file compare of the 'old' and 'new' DLL was the same, so I wonder if it was some other configuration or definition bug.

Now on this new computer, McAfee fails again shortly after an update.

Basically, MSE/Defender may not have the best reputation, but it seems to at least be more conservative and stable.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 71

You are quite welcome. I do personally know the High Level Support/Engineers are working dilligently to resolve these issues. Hopefully our Technician will add to the discussion soon.

Thank you again...

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
findit89
Former Member
Message 26 of 71

Just learned my brother has this problem now.  He uses Windows 7.  I use Windows 10.   Many folks hoping for a resolution to this problem.

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 27 of 71

I've had this problem for a month and brought it up in another thread.   I've been troubleshooting this, but nothing has worked.  I called McAfee a couple of weeks ago and they uninstalled and reinstalled TP.  Didn't do any good.  So I called McAfee again the other day and asked them to take this to a higher level of support.  They said they'd get back to me, and they did call me back yesterday.   I told them about this message board posting and that it's a known issue, which the rep agreed with.   They said they may want my computer log but they'll get back to me on that.

FWIW I did find this message board posting, seems to be the same issue but goes back to 2014.  For me, about 20% of the the time this happens, google.com loads and I can do a search (only Firefox, not IE).   But clicking the results won't load.   http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2176175/internet-connected-loads-google-websites.html

I did go into the Internet Protocols, put in my IP address,  used 8888 and 8844 DNS numbers, had IP Version 6's box checked and unchecked.  None of it worked.

I only have a couple of months of the McAfee subscription left, so if this isn't resolved, I'll use a different Internet Security.   Any recommendations? 

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 71

I will attempt to ask one of the Most Highest Level support Engineer's to chime in and add to the discussion, on yours/evreyone's behalf.

​ Could you please add to this discussion?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
findit89
Former Member
Message 29 of 71

As stated b4, the easiest solution for Windows 10 users is to un-install McAfee and let Defender protect your system until McAfee fixes the problem.  This will be automatic by Win 10 once McAfee is un-installed.  If you have some other Windows version, you may try, as recommended by another poster here, to just turn off real time scanning.  I can't verify this works, but its worth a try.  Good luck.

andyross
Former Member
Message 30 of 71

If you have issues with Win8, I think it also will default to Defender if all other AV is removed. For Win7, you can download and install Microsoft Security Essentials, which gives most of the same features as Defender.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

And if you somehow need more control of the Firewall than the standard Windows controls offer, you can try this program (just saw it somewhere, never used it myself.)

Windows Firewall Control

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community