cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
studiorose
Former Member
Message 21 of 29

Re: McAfee Service Host has stopped working

It's been happening to me for at least a couple weeks.  I used the online support today; they took control of my computer and deleted three files "that were probably causing the problem."  Didn't help.  I uninstalled and reinstalled, as instructed if it didn't work, and that also didn't work.

I have a Dell running Windows XP, using the Chrome browser, and have no clouds here.  I've had McAfee on this machine for over 6 years and haven't changed anything recently.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 22 of 29

Lisa Mallette wrote:

It's been happening to me for at least a couple weeks.  I used the online support today; they took control of my computer and deleted three files "that were probably causing the problem."  Didn't help.  I uninstalled and reinstalled, as instructed if it didn't work, and that also didn't work.

I have a Dell running Windows XP, using the Chrome browser, and have no clouds here.  I've had McAfee on this machine for over 6 years and haven't changed anything recently.

Hi Lisa,

Have you tried using the Internet Explorer 64-Bit Browser. It is available in All Programs for XP. If you don't have Internet Explorer 64-Bit , I would be more clear on the version of Windows XP you are running and the Service Pack Level as well.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 29

Lisa couldn't be using 64-bit XP as it isn't supported by McAfee Consumer products.  But even in supported 64-bit OS's such as Vista and Windows 7 it's best to use the 32-bit IE as few add-ons will work with the 64-bit one, if you use IE.

nibloi
Former Member
Message 24 of 29

Hi all,

Just to add to the growing list of people who get the "McAffee Service Host Has Encountered A Problem" message.

I have XP SP3 with no  form of secuirity other than McAfee. This week I've performed a full un-install of McAfee Internet Security 11, then a McAffee cleanup followed by full re-install of the product but I still this message all the regularly - at least once a day and seemingly at random. For info I use Chrome but still see the message if I use IE8.

Is there anything I can switch on to get some debug info out of McAfee?

McAfee1.jpg

McAfee2.jpg

McAfee3.jpg

McAfee4.jpg

McAfee5.jpg

Help!!!

Ian

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 29

They are aware of it but opening a new case with Technical Support by phone or online chat will help.  Link is under Useful Links at the top of this page.

sagalout
Contributor
Message 26 of 29

I've now captured diagnostics at the point of error as listed in the attached file.

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 29

There is a new patch coming out today will take a while to filter down the countries. It has some fixes in it that might help.

klinker
Former Member
Message 28 of 29

Downloaded the Dec 19th update for Total Protection requiring reboot. New version is Security Center 11.0.649 and Virus Scan 15.0.294.  This patch DID NOT fix Service Host problem.  Still experiencing same problems as everybody else has outlined.

If this update was supposed to fix the Service Host issue, it didn't work. In fact I just got an error for the second time in the short time it took to type this message. I'm not going to go through reinstalling McAfee again because obviously the problem has stilll not been resolved with this latest update.

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 29

I did say might.There were several fixes in the patch seems not this 1.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community