cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cattleprod
Former Member
Message 1 of 29

McAfee Service Host has stopped working

On Sunday, November 13th there was an update to McAfee Total Protection that required a restart to fully implement. Starting the following day, I've received errors at least once a day that state that McAfee Service Host has stopped working. I'm not quite sure what this entails, what programs are at risk when this happens.

I'm running Windows XP on a Dell desktop computer, using Firefox 3 as my web browser. The website tvtropes.org seems to cause this problem in particular, it's caused about half of these errors, the most recent after only being on the site for 5 minutes despite a previous hour with no problems. The error has also occurred while visiting gamespot.com and amazon.ca.

28 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 29

Re: McAfee Service Host has stopped working

Is this a popup? Is this the popup?

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-144381-5364/450-225/McAfeeErrorWindow.jpg

Please post the versions of Mcfaee

Security Centre

Virusscan

Firewall

Any reason to be still on Firefox 3?

Is this on a HP computer? ie does it use online backup software from Zuno that HP uses in its cloud backup?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 19/11/11 7:31:44 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 19/11/11 7:35:41 PM
cattleprod
Former Member
Message 3 of 29

That error message isn't quite the same because I'm using a different version of Windows, and the one I get also has an error report option. I'm still on FF3 because 4 initially seemed buggy and missing features and I never got back to it. My computer has nothing relating to Cloud or Zuno on it. I made a mistake in my first post, it's actually made by MDG, not Dell.

Security Center

Version: 11.0

Build: 11.0.623

Affld: 332

Language: en-us

Last update: 11/13/2011

Virus Scan

Version: 15.0

Build: 15.0.294

Last update: 11/17/2011

DAT version: 6533

DAT creation date: 11/17/2011

Boot DAT version:6523.0000

Boot DAT creation date: 11/7/2011

Engine version 5400.1158

Firewall

Version: 12.0

Build: 12.0.345

Last update: 11/13/2011

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 29

What service pack for XP and what version of Firewall the full build details is it 3.5 or better?. Does it do the same it you use IE? What version of IE are you using?

Take a pic of the message please

If you can get below done before Monday I can bring this up at our phone call Monday arvo.

Before I suggest discussing this with a tech

1. Run MVT and see if it finds anything amiss

MVT is tech support link in useful links tab above.

Note session number

2. If no go.

Uninstall reinstall

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall from your account

This will stop the techs suggesting same.

cattleprod
Former Member
Message 5 of 29

I have Windows XP version 2002 service pack 3, Firefox is version 3.6.24, and I don't use IE.

I'll post a picture of the error message if and when I get it again, I'll poke around the sites that gave me trouble.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 29

But do you have IE installed?

cattleprod
Former Member
Message 7 of 29

Ah, right, I have IE7 on my system, I haven't actually used it in over 2 years.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 29

cattleprod, as McAfee relies on a working IE at its default settings try updating IE7 to IE8, which is the latest available for XP and Firefox probably needs updating too.

It's a general rule these day to keep everything updated, even if it isn't used.

I'm not saying this will cure it, but it might help.

Then run the MVT http://mvt.mcafee.com to see if it finds fault with anything.

cattleprod
Former Member
Message 9 of 29

The error recurred, here's some images:

error1.bmp

error2.bmp

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 29

Have you tried uninstalling via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, then running the cleanup tool (MCPR) linked under useful links above, rebooting and reinstalling from the online account?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community