cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seriouslyoverth
Former Member
Message 301 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

hi, i am getting the same message ALL THE TIME ('McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell McAfee about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this as confidentail and anonymous'.).  yesterday i updated bittorrent to the newest version.  i now get the message constantly and once i get the message i have no internet access and have to turn off my wifi and turn it back on again.  this is new, prior to yesterday when i got the error message everything would still work fine.  i notice this problem has been going on for about a year now.  is anyone actually working to fix this.  i most likely will not be renewing my mcafee subscription next time as i dont know if my computer is protected after it happens.  please do something to fix the problem, mcafee.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 302 of 365

seriouslyoverthis wrote:

...  please do something to fix the problem, mcafee.

We've had advance notification that something is on its way, but I'm not going to stick my neck out and name a date for it to arrive (I don't want to be a hostage to fortune). I know what's been causing this, and it's something that needs some code to be rewritten and thoroughly tested before the fix is released. That's all I'm allowed to say at the moment. It's a non-trivial problem, certainly, and sorting it out has taken a while (as you may have noticed).

kissmy
Contributor
Message 303 of 365

Im I really paying for this? All I get is blah blah blah. Kind of funny when your biggets problem with being on the internet is the program that is supposed to keep you safe. Getting kicked of randomly once an hour is not what i want.

Just uninstalled all MacAffe programes and there not comming back - what are the odds on getting the money back from the 9 months i have prepayed? I dont trust these products anymore.

And dont tell me its a problem caused by a 3rd party provider - i get kicked of on a PC that runs XP, Office and Google Chrome. Looks like they made some shit that they cant even fix.

Message was edited by: kissmyass on 5/27/12 10:25:49 PM CDT
verno
Former Member
Message 304 of 365

Last week I finally came across this Mcafee discussion site: I disabled netguard and I am no longer getting the error message and the dropped internet connection. Event viewer showed Mcafee crashing and restarting. Open Mcafee and select firewall, then settings, then at the bottom is netguard and uncheck it.

I see that this problem must be extreemely wide spread if there are this many comments on this. Since I've had Mcafee for about 4 or 5 years with my AT&T internet suite, this is about the 5 nuke to hit my computer due to Mcafee. Most people have no clue how to diagnose a problem such as this, and many will actually harm their computers with drastic measures. When Mcafee's technicians cannot even instruct users with the workaround fix that is just wrong. Mcafee is owned by Intel and one of the premier antivirus programs in the world today. I would think they could communicate an issue such as this to their customers via email, media ect. Has computer technology reached a point of un-maintainabilty due to security issues and complex software application incompatability? Maybe it has. Ever read future shock.

As a humerous note at the top of this discussion page Mcafee has a warning that iit has blocked content from potentially dangerous or suspicious sites. (on its own site) I even get this on certain NOAA weather forcast pages now. Maybe there is a heightened threat of security attacks at this time. Mcafee is freaking people out and probably loosing more customers. If they would communicate with the media and to their customers they could turn this around. I have my doubts.

Peacekeeper
Message 305 of 365

Re the humourous comment yes does not look good we suspect it is something in the add this feature top right of the screen that has changed and being the trigger for this. It is not Mcafee itself though the cause.

Happening on the long US weekend is not good either as most of the high level techs are not contactable by us.

As I said for mcsvhost  patch coming very soon. It has been held up for a few weeks due to a bug in the bug fix

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/05/12 4:31:24 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 306 of 365

Please PM me his name thanks

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/05/12 4:35:17 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 307 of 365

OK It downloaded on my XP test box that had its Mcafee installed via the Aussie server so if you want you can uninstall properly via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

then logonto the mcafee site and change to teh Au server and loginto your account. Install Mcafee and reboot and let us know it issue with XP and mcsvhost errors fixed.

I suggest 1 user first try it as it is a bit of work. If you already installed from the Au server try update (it is throttled so might take a few attempts). It should update VS to build 302 and change the SC and Firewall builds as well.

richenone
Contributor
Message 308 of 365

Dear Peacekeeper,

I understand as a volunteer moderator you have little control about McAfees response but since it seems you are the only one who is at least talking with someone over at McAfee you get the responses. I will be civil and not blaming you but I would appreciate you passing this on.

I am sure like all the 47,000 plus views, most who don't have the time to post, this is a very enlightning view of McAfees customer service. At no time over the months have I seen an official response from Mcaffe. Just the fact that I have to go into a time consuming search on the internet to find a thread dealing with this problem is bad enough. To then find that the only real answers I am getting is from a volunteer moderator, and that without that we have no other avenue to deal with this, is inexuseable. This is not a minor problem. I have five subscriptions in my home alone, forget counting my business computers. When I have to spend my day dealing with this, turning on and off my computers, having to go thru my system in search of the problem and finally, thanks to your post, finding out what the problem is really goes beyond the norm of what I expect from a company that I use to protect my computers. The fact we still don't have a resolution makes it even more frustrating. Being the worlds largest is supposed to mean they can afford to deal honestly with customers not ignore us.

Thank you Peacekeeper for your thread and help.

I apologize to you for having to deal with this and hope you have a great day.

Best Regards,

Rich

Message was edited by: richenone on 6/1/12 1:38:53 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 309 of 365

I seem to latch onto these major issues and stay with them till they are solved. Unfortunately I can repro this on my test XP box but am assured the fix is in the patch released last Tuesday to the aussie server..

I agree this has taken ages and though the workaround of disabling netguard seems to work it should have been fixed faster. Unfortunately that is out of our (the mods) hands though we bring the carry over issues to the techs attention weekly and ask for updates.

This thread 1 of 3 or 4 on same issue

I hope the patch solves this for you and thank you for not grumping at me

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 2/06/12 7:10:28 AM
richenone
Contributor
Message 310 of 365

Dear Peacekeeper,

In going to http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331 

it says to unistall but does not give me the option to Download or a URL to go to for the MCPR.exe file. If it is on that page please let me know and I will stand corrected. When searching online I found no download for the MCPR.exe file except thru a third party. Sorry if I don't really know which third party to trust to actually give me the right file but I should be directed to an actual McAfee site from this page. I will keep you informed when I get the chance to find a site I trust to download a McAfee uninstall. These are the time wasters that are hard to ignore and continue the agony of dealing with this problem.

Thank you,

Rich

Message was edited by: richenone on 6/1/12 6:26:50 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community