cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klinker
Former Member
Message 201 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

Put this on here since there are too many different topics already. So my Total Protection just updated this morning on April 26 to the following:

Security Center Build 11.0.669

Virus Scan Build 15.0.300

Firewall Build 12.0.351

All builds have the April 26th date.

IS THIS THE FIX????

RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 202 of 365

The mind boggles. This has been going on for far too long. I do not intend renew McAfee Total Protection when it runs out this May. I'll be going with Microsoft Essentials instead.

RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 203 of 365

If I uninstall SiteAdvisor (which I have already done but original problem still persists) AND Netguard would this compromise my Internet Security ?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 204 of 365

I don't know about NetGuard but if you haven't got SiteAdvisor you should have something else to warn you of risky websites. WOT is perhaps an alternative, but it won't report problems in real-time (as SiteAdvisor is supposed to do).

A user in another thread turned off NetGuard and modified the McSvHost properties in services.msc to restart it automatically if it stopped. So far there haven't been any more crashes so that might have worked for that user. I can't say if it would work for everybody.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 26/04/12 21:16:50 IST
Peacekeeper
Message 205 of 365

Usually 1 of the two being kept is a good idea. Running without Netguard is fine the techs suggest it till the patch comes and No it is not now but slated for next month.

Ok since I said a time it probably will get held up that usually happens with my comments

orangeglider
Former Member
Message 206 of 365

I had the same McAfee error. "McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".  It seemed to start when I reinstalled McAfee using the latest version rather than an earlier version I had originally installed.

I ran the standard windows explorer diagnostic (basically the blank page window) that comes up when IE can't navigate to the proper page. It said there was a problem with Winsock. So I looked up the following instructions to correct my Winsock problem and haven't been seeing the error anymore.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7200374_fix-winsock-provider-catalog-errors.html

radioflyer
Contributor
Message 207 of 365

This started way back in 2011 sometime on both my computers - both XP Home Ed., SP3.  I use Firefox, never IE. Desktop needed a little defragging; laptop did not.  I couldn't tell if anything was actually closing or whether it was just generating the message.   It never seemed to have any effect if it actually did close,  and I was never able to find out what in the heck Service Host was or whether I should care if it was closing. 

After reading here, I cut off Netguard on both computers about two weeks ago and have had zero problem since on my laptop.  Got the message one time on the desktop.  It had been happening frequently but irregularly before.  FWIW.

RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 208 of 365

Will this EVER be sorted out I wonder ? Kapersky or Microsoft Essentials here I come.

Peacekeeper
Message 209 of 365

I said May up above against my better judgement .The fix is slated for a major patch then.

karen_in_nh_201
Former Member
Message 210 of 365

This started happening on my desktop PC within the past few weeks, and now it happens several times a day.  The glitch completely turns off my Internet connection; after I get the message, every page goes to the "not connected" page even though my computer says I am still connected.  (These are completely safe, reputable sites, like my college's home page or my college email page.)  Occasionally I can fix the problem by disabling/enabling AND unplugging/plugging my modem, but often that doesn't work and I have to re-boot completely in order to get Internet to work again.  (I don't like having my connection on all the time, so I enable/disable through a shortcut on my desktop.)

I am running XP Pro with Service Pack 3.  Internet Explorer is my browser.

I am frustrated beyond belief with McAfee; this is just the latest problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community