cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marceloros66
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

McAfee LiveSafe new Cleanup feature cost me 70$ after it deleted my real video files

Hi,

I have a drive (V) where I store all of my Video files (go-pro, panasonic, movie editing data, etc.)

Lately McAfee software updated and started annoying me to allow it to cleanup unnecessary files.

That is along with the usual bug of "can't turn real-time scanning on" ....

Unfortunately today I gave up and clicked continue...just to see it deleted all of my REAL video files & data in my video drive V !

I must say I have a symbolic link to that video folder from other smaller drive (D) where the files where stored, before I moved them to the bigger one V.

I had to create the link because the editing software would not locate the data in older projects.

It may have confused Mcafee or the Windows recycle bin ???

But it is a huge issue ! 
My most important files are Unnecessary files? 

I paid EaseUS Data Recovery the money such it recovers all my files exactly as they were this morning.
I could recover some of the data from my backup drives but it would not be complete.

Please investigate.

Thanks !

11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 12

Re: McAfee LiveSafe new Cleanup feature cost me 70$ after it deleted my real video files

I will pass this on. With Quickclean you can set schedule to do not schedule I do.

marceloros66
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Re: McAfee LiveSafe new Cleanup feature cost me 70$ after it deleted my real video files

Thank You.

I'll try to do a test and figure out if it's a Recycle Bin bug.

Mcafee QuickClean was trying to empty it and somehow pointed to real data.

marceloros66
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

I tried some test cases, in any one of them I could not make the RecycleBin to get confused & delete my real test data.

Now I'll wait for Macfee QuickClean.

marceloros66
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

OK - I found the schedule setup and made it work now.

It states I have 4 items in the recycle bin :

2 X TEST (one is the deleted DIR, the second is the deleted symbolic link - I deleted one just to reproduce what I had)

2 X test.mp4 ==> why 2 ?? very weird I deleted only one (from drive D, the other in drive V is the copy I need to keep)

BINGO !

QuickClean deleted the file in drive V together with the drive D deleted file which was the only one to really cleanup.

Huge painful & expensive bug.

How do I know this is reported directly into McAfee technical support/development?

Thanks ! 

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 12

Because I said I would we mods have a call every Monday and this is item 1 of the call. I will also message the product manager.

marceloros66
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thank You very much !

I'll wait for your reply, if you like to get back to me privately please let me know.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 12

marceloros66,

We would like to work with you on this issue.  Can you please Follow me and provide your email address so we can contact you?

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 12

As Doug asked please follow him and message him with your email details. Do not post them here in the open forum. Doug is a senior engineer with McAfee and will assist you.

marceloros66
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Just sent it - thank you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community