Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4prem
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

McAfee Labs Dat Release Notification

Hi,

Last year, in November, I changed my telephone carrier and was switched to McAfee virus protection.

On Febrary 2nd, I began receiving McAfee Labs Dat Release Notifications, such as follows:

> Subject: McAfee Labs Dat Release Notification: 5896 Dat Files Released

>

>  The 5896 daily dat files have been released and are available for download.

>

>  The various 5896 daily dat file packages can be found at

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp

When I called my telephone carrier, I was told that I am receiving these notifications because I deactivated McAfee e-mail protection.

I have been using EUDORA for e-mail, since the 1990s.  If I activate McAfee e-mail protection, then I cannot check or send e-mail.
Should I ignore the dat release notifications?
Or should I do something?  If so, then what?
Thanks!
9 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee Labs Dat Release Notification

Hi 4prem,

The DAT release notification are sent to you so that you download the latest anti virus definitions for McAfee VirusScan and ensure taht your McAfee product contains the most up-to-date detection and prevention.And may I know do you receive any errors messages from your email client when you enable your email protecion ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Thanks Dinz, I was looking into the original question and I don't see a way of unsubscribing from those notifcations, is there one?

Not forgetting that home users can't update manually except by asking SecurityCenter to search for updates anyway.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Well I subscribed to DAT notification emails to test it and at the foot of every one is an unsubscribe link.

4prem
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Dinesh,

I switched to McAfee in November 2009.  Why would I only start receiving DAT alerts in February 2010?

I get an "error connecting to the Mail Server" message, whenever I enable the McAfee e-mail virus protection.

Prema

4prem
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Ex_Brit,

There is an UNSUBSCRIBE link at the bottom of the DAT alert e-mail message.

I was convinced that subject problem exists because I am using Qualcomm's Eudora mail program, which is no longer supported by Qualcomm.

So, I unsubscribed from the DAT alert mail list.

4prem
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

All,

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I have disabled the McAfee e-mail scan protection, so that I can check my e-mail.

Any further advice?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Until Dinz has an idea I would try contacting Technical Support Chat via the Useful Links at the top of the page.   You certainly should not have to disable email protection to receive mail.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Hi 4prem,

As Peter said , an email message with instructions on confirming the subscription and unsubscribing would be sent to the email address you specified by which you can unsubscribe the DAT notifications.

Regarding the error messge your receive while you enable your email protection , can you please confirm the version of your McAfee products ?

Open security center and let us know whether it says Am i protected YES or Your computer is secure ?

Also click the option About to the right bottom corner and let us know the version of your antispam ? and we would get back to you .

Regards,

Dinesh K

4prem
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Hi Dinesh,

Since I disabled McAfee E-mail protection, the AT&T Internet Security Suite (powered by McAfee) reads:

Am I Protected?  No

INSTALLED PRODUCTS:

SecurityCenter Version: 9.15

VirusScan Version:  13.15

Personal Firewall Version:  10.15

SiteAdvisor Version:  3.0

EasyNetwork Version:  3.15

forward!

devotion, prema

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community