Did you mean: 
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 51 of 58

Re: McAfee Inc. mfeapfk service failed?

Jump to solution

Hi catdaddy,

You need to be worried if the file is really missing from Drivers location. As far as my knowledge it has identified that Device Driver mfeapfk is failing a Microsoft's test (Not sure of the details though) for Verification. As a result Windows Device Manager mis-reports that Device is missing / Not working even though file is present / working fine. Hopefully it will be fixed in forthcoming Updates..!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 52 of 58

Jump to solution

Thanks Selvan for your prompt reply, reassurance

As I stated, all seems to have been functioning just fine. Ran an Eicar Test string, "Detected"

Tested my Site Advisor Live, and it "Detected" as well.

This issue seems to be similar to the WSC periodically not recognizing McAfee, but that is a simple fix.

Thanks Again....

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 53 of 58

Jump to solution

FYI in regard to this issue,

All that's required when editing the registry for the temporary fix to work is changing the start value from 2 to 3.

The recommended ImagePath modification (adding C:\Windows\) is an unnecessary step as the default ImagePath (system32\drivers\mfeapfk.sys) works once the start value is changed.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 54 of 58

Jump to solution

Hi cad_techniche,

Thanks for adding your findings.

inirons
Former Member
Message 55 of 58

Jump to solution

I also did the temporary value edit from 2 to 3, two weeks past, and since then, all is good once more...

samincolorado
Contributor
Message 56 of 58

Jump to solution

Selvan's fix posted in this chat worked for me...except the path I had to edit was in several locations in the registry, and not in the HKeyLocalMachine section.  I am running Windows 7 SP1 Home 64 bit.  I started getting the event id 7000 failure on each boot, after installing a recent McAfee update.  After editting the registry in those several registry locations, I no longer get the event error.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 57 of 58

Jump to solution

Glad that it worked for you...!

Regards

tupselva
Former Member
Message 58 of 58

Jump to solution

Hi,

Im also facing the same problem. I dont have issues in updating the registry as advised in this post. However, I wanted to know, if the mfeapfk service failure will cause the system to shut down suddenly or the network connection to be disabled intermittently. Pls. advise.

Thanks!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community